Menu

Can I use Tora for MingW (Windows) for free?

platlab
2005-07-16
2012-12-13
  • platlab

platlab - 2005-07-16

The Readme file in the zip file of Tora for MingW (Windows) mentions that I can use Tora for 30 days for non-commercial purpose. However, the Readme file seems to be outdated as the file mentions "Oracle 9i is unsupported". Next, the previous versions for Windows are native versions (i.e. without MingW). At the present, only Tora for Linux and Tora for MingW (Windows) are available. At the web page of Tora mentions Tora is licensed under the GPL. Does it mean everyone can use Tora for free in my work? Is Tora for MingW (Windows) included?

• Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson - 2005-07-16

Tora is free software, I'm not sure where that readme.txt file came from... Do whatever you like with it, the source is licensed under the GPL. Until recently Tora was dual licensed and the Windows version was non-free because QT restrictions, but not any more.

Otherwise, Tora running on Windows/Mingw is absolutely native. It's just a different C++ runtime. You don't have to care about that. :-)

• Jaime A.

Jaime A. - 2005-07-18

The readme.txt is in the 1.3.18 bundle....As i said in the other forum SO WHERE WE ARE? Free????? evaluation??????

• Nathan Neulinger

This is an oversight, that readme was never replaced. Everywhere else in the packages it has been updated to clearly indicate that the entire package is GPLd.

I'll state this again:

*** TORA IS RELEASED UNDER THE GPL LICENSE ***

The offending readme has been removed in CVS and will not be there in the next release.