Menu

Empty trash functionality needed (NW-A808)

2009-03-09
2013-05-02
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi, I would like to see new feature in Symphonic that would recognizes what songs are in the trash bin of my Sony player (NW-A808) and would allow me to delete them with one click. Currently as Symphonic (0.3.0a) does not recognize them I have to manually look each song from the player song list and remove them one by one from the player which take years.

I like Symphonic but without the empty trash functionality it is not as useful for me as Sonicstage. Sadly as using Symphonic messed up my players DB and now my Sonicstage wont open it any more saying something about 'Change to Simple Mode from settings' related stuff and I have no clue how to do that if its even possible...

• Skiron

Skiron - 2009-03-09

Let me explain:

All Sony devices don't have the same features: for instance yours is able to display covers, but mine can't.
      What I've done so far is to manage basic info common to all models:
      - song names
      - albums
      - artists

Some players (as the NW-E00x) don't have any other features, and so they are completly supported.

When you unplug your player from the computer it says "Change to Simple Mode" because it only finds the basic info.
      That is also the reason why SonicStage won't open: it doesn't find extra info and don't know what to do, so it crashes... (by the way, it proves that SonicStage is not well coded, because one database file may be corrupted for any reason, and it should be able to ignore info written in this file and starts anyway...)

Extra features (that I called special features) are:
      - years
      - intelligent shuffle
      - time machine
      - trash management

The thing is that I'm not planning to implement these special features for the moment, since only a part of the users are concerned and also because it needs a heavy reverse-engineering process, which is more time consuming that the other tasks I planned, which the priorities are:
      - covers support
      - playlist support
      - podcast feature

Of course, if many people ask for this feature, I will increase its priority. But for the moment, you are just you.

But, if you want to join the project to implement the feature, you are welcome ! The code structure is ready !

Last thing I can say to you is that if you really want to use JSymphonic, stop using the trash feature when you are using your player, use a pen and a paper instead, once at home, use JSymphonic to delete the songs you don't want anymore. JSymphonic is a lot faster than SonicStage and in my opinion you will save time.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Well ok, I'll think on that. Thanks for the quick answer.

• Skiron

Skiron - 2009-03-11

:-)