Menu

Teething troubles with fetch scripts

Help
2007-05-30
2013-04-24
  • Stephen Judd

Stephen Judd - 2007-05-30

I have tried to convert our working PDE build for our RCP product from CVS to subversion using the svn-pde-build plugin, but I haven't got very far.

The build breaks immediately after fetching the map files with this error:

[java] Svn : Exporting
         [java] export -r HEAD http://svn.software.foo.com/svn/com.foosoft/com/foosoft/simplar/simplar-eclipse/trunk/releng/maps /home/stephen/dev/workspaces/eclipse-3.2.2/simplar-eclipse/releng/target/eclipse/simplar/maps
         [java] A  /home/stephen/dev/workspaces/eclipse-3.2.2/simplar-eclipse/releng/target/eclipse/simplar/maps
         [java] A  /home/stephen/dev/workspaces/eclipse-3.2.2/simplar-eclipse/releng/target/eclipse/simplar/maps/simplar.map
         [java] A  /home/stephen/dev/workspaces/eclipse-3.2.2/simplar-eclipse/releng/target/eclipse/simplar/maps/framework.map
         [java] notify.export
         [java] postSetup:
         [java] checkLocalBase:
         [java] getBaseComponents:
         [java] generateFeature:
         [java] [eclipse.generateFeature] An error occured while generating manifest for /home/stephen/dev/workspaces/eclipse-3.2.2/simplar-eclipse/releng/target/eclipse/simplar.
         [java] fetch:
         [java] preFetch:
         [java] allElements:
         [java] allElementsDelegator:
         [java] init:
         [java] fetchElement:
         [java]     [mkdir] Created dir: /home/stephen/dev/workspaces/eclipse-3.2.2/simplar-eclipse/releng/target/eclipse/simplar/plugins
         [java] BUILD FAILED
         [java] /home/stephen/dev/workspaces/eclipse-3.2.2/simplar-eclipse/releng/target/builders/r322_v20061129/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/scripts/productBuild/productBuild.xml:20: The following error occurred while executing this line:
         [java] /home/stephen/dev/workspaces/eclipse-3.2.2/simplar-eclipse/releng/target/builders/r322_v20061129/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/scripts/build.xml:51: The following error occurred while executing this line:
         [java] /home/stephen/dev/workspaces/eclipse-3.2.2/simplar-eclipse/releng/conf/customTargets.xml:24: The following error occurred while executing this line:
         [java] /home/stephen/dev/workspaces/eclipse-3.2.2/simplar-eclipse/releng/target/builders/r322_v20061129/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/scripts/productBuild/allElements.xml:9: The following error occurred while executing this line:
         [java] /home/stephen/dev/workspaces/eclipse-3.2.2/simplar-eclipse/releng/target/builders/r322_v20061129/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/scripts/genericTargets.xml:41: Missing feature com.foosoft.simplar.eclipse.feature. It does not appear in the map file nor in the base location.

The fetch script appears incomplete and has CVS targets in it, as though the CVS Fetch factory ran and then died:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!-- Fetch script for feature@com.foosoft.simplar.eclipse.feature -->

<project name="FetchScript" default="fetch">
            <property name="quiet" value="true"/>

<target name="fetch">
                    <antcall target="fetch.element"/>
                    <antcall target="fetch.plugins"/>
                    <antcall target="fetch.recursively"/>
            </target>
            <target name="fetch.element" if="featureOnly">
                    <available property="${buildDirectory}/features/com.foosoft.simplar.eclipse.feature/feature.xml" file="${buildDirectory}/features/com.foosoft.simplar.eclipse.feature/feature.xml"           />
                    <cvspass cvsRoot="trunk" password="http://svn.software.foo.com/svn/com.foosoft" passfile="features/com.foosoft.simplar.eclipse.feature"                />
                    <antcall target="FetchFromCVS">
                            <param name="cvsRoot" value="trunk"/>
                            <param name="fileToCheck" value="${buildDirectory}/features/com.foosoft.simplar.eclipse.feature/feature.xml"/>
                            <param name="elementName" value="com.foosoft.simplar.eclipse.feature"/>
                            <param name="module" value="com/foosoft/simplar/simplar-eclipse"/>
                            <param name="tag" value="SVN"/>
                            <param name="destinationFolder" value="${buildDirectory}/features"/>
                            <param name="quiet" value="${cvs.quiet}"/>
                    </antcall>
            </target>
            <target name="fetch.plugins" if="featureAndPlugins">

I'm guessing that I have not got org.eclipse.pde.build.svn-1.0.1RC2.zip unzipped in the right place. Right now I see the jar org.eclipse.pde.build.svn_1.0.1.v20070222.jar in $BASEBUILDER/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build

Any ideas?

• Java Otaku

Java Otaku - 2007-05-30

Hello,

I'm not sure what's going on with your build, but have you been able to successfully build the SVN pde-build plugin following the steps described here?

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=44898&group_id=181297

I found it very helpful to look at the build structure/process of the pde-build plugin itself and then slightly modify it for my own build.

Also, my fetch_*.xml files only contain "FetchFromSVN" calls.  Are you sure your map file uses the correct SVN format?

• Stephen Judd

Stephen Judd - 2007-05-31

Hmmm, well that's interesting. No, I can't build as per those instructions.

Since late Feb, there is no startup.jar: see http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Equinox_Launcher. So I had to butcher the commandline slightly.

java -cp ../org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner -buildfile build.xml -Dcomponent=svn-pde-build -DbuildDirectory=build/svn_pde_build -Dbase=build/svn_pde_build_base

But assuming that's ok, I get this:

<snip>
      fetchElement:
      [eclipse.fetch] File not read: ./directory.txt.
      [eclipse.fetch] Missing directory entry: feature@org.eclipse.pde.build.svn.
      [eclipse.fetch] feature@org.eclipse.pde.build.svn has not be fetched.

BUILD FAILED
      /home/stephen/svnreleng/org.eclipse.pde.build.svn.builder/build.xml:47: The following error occurred while executing this line:
      /home/stephen/svnreleng/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/scripts/build.xml:23: The following error occurred while executing this line:
      /home/stephen/svnreleng/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/scripts/build.xml:51: The following error occurred while executing this line:
      /home/stephen/svnreleng/org.eclipse.pde.build.svn.builder/svn-pde-build/customTargets.xml:10: The following error occurred while executing this line:
      /home/stephen/svnreleng/org.eclipse.pde.build.svn.builder/svn-pde-build/allElements.xml:12: The following error occurred while executing this line:
      /home/stephen/svnreleng/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/scripts/genericTargets.xml:45: The following error occurred while executing this line:
      java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/stephen/svnreleng/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/scripts/fetch_org.eclipse.pde.build.svn.xml (No such file or directory)

This is on a linux box with jdk 1.6.

Here's a chunk of my map file:

plugin@com.effacysoft.simplar.eclipse.workbench.ui=SVN,trunk,http://thingy/svn/com.effacysoft,com/effacysoft/simplar/simplar-eclipse,plugins/com.effacysoft.simplar.eclipse.workbench.ui
      feature@com.effacysoft.simplar.eclipse.feature=SVN,trunk,http://thingy/svn/com.effacysoft,com/effacysoft/simplar/simplar-eclipse,features/com.effacysoft.simplar.eclipse.feature
      feature@com.effacysoft.simplar.eclipse.rcp.feature=SVN,trunk,http://thingy/svn/com.effacysoft,com/effacysoft/simplar/simplar-eclipse,features/com.effacysoft.simplar.eclipse.rcp.feature

• Chris Vines

Chris Vines - 2007-06-04

Hi

The file org.eclipse.pde.build.svn_1.0.1.v20070222.jar should be in the directory
      $BASEBUILDER/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins with all the other plugin jars.

It looks like it could not find the SVN fetch generator so just used the default CVS generator.

Regards
      Chris

• Eric Geordi

Eric Geordi - 2008-04-14

Hi Chris,

I am currently having the same problems as Stephen Judd above. I have confirmed that I have properly placed the org.eclipse.pde.build.svn_1.0.1.v20070222.jar in the eclipse basebuilder plugins directory as well as the feature in the basebuilder's features directory.

Here is the error message I am getting:

P:\buildTest\org.eclipse.pde.build.svn.builder>java -cp ../org.eclipse.releng.ba
      sebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Mai
      n -application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner -buildfile build.xml -Dcomponent=s
      vn-pde-build -DbuildDirectory=build/svn_pde_build -Dbase=build/svn_pde_build_bas
      e
      Buildfile: build.xml

main:

create.label.properties:
           [echo]
           [echo] PDE-Build-SVN Build Launcher
           [echo] ======================================
           [echo]
           [echo] Build script:     build.xml
           [echo] Script location:  P:\buildTest\org.eclipse.pde.build.svn.builder/../
      org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/scripts
           [echo] Component:        svn-pde-build
           [echo] Build dir:        build/svn_pde_build
           [echo] Eclipse Base dir: ${baseLocation}
           [echo] buildId:          I20080414
           [echo]

main:

preBuild:

preSetup:

checkLocalMaps:

getMapFiles:

postSetup:

checkLocalBase:

getBaseComponents:

fetch:

preFetch:

allElements:

allElementsDelegator:

init:

fetchElement:
      [eclipse.fetch] File not read: build\svn_pde_build\directory.txt.
      [eclipse.fetch] Missing directory entry: feature@org.eclipse.pde.build.svn.
      [eclipse.fetch] feature@org.eclipse.pde.build.svn has not be fetched.

BUILD FAILED
      P:\buildTest\org.eclipse.pde.build.svn.builder\build.xml:47: The following error
      occurred while executing this line:
      P:\buildTest\org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder\plugins\org.eclipse.pde.build\script
      s\build.xml:23: The following error occurred while executing this line:
      P:\buildTest\org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder\plugins\org.eclipse.pde.build\script
      s\build.xml:51: The following error occurred while executing this line:
      P:\buildTest\org.eclipse.pde.build.svn.builder\svn-pde-build\customTargets.xml:1
      0: The following error occurred while executing this line:
      P:\buildTest\org.eclipse.pde.build.svn.builder\svn-pde-build\allElements.xml:12:
      The following error occurred while executing this line:
      s\genericTargets.xml:46: The following error occurred while executing this line:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: P:\buildTest\org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder\plugi
      ns\org.eclipse.pde.build\scripts\build\svn_pde_build\fetch_org.eclipse.pde.build
      .svn.xml (The system cannot find the file specified)

Total time: 0 seconds

Any ideas ? Do I need to set any environment variables perhaps? Also, is 1.0.1 compatible with eclipse 3.4 m6 ?

• Chris Vines

Chris Vines - 2008-05-01

Hi Eric,

It looks like the map files were not fetched properly which led to directory.txt not being created.

Make sure the temp build folder is removed and try again.

Hope this helps

Regards
      Chris