Menu

Licensing for Stellarium imagery

Feedback
2005-08-19
2012-10-09
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I was immediately impressed with the views Stellarium creates. I'm developing an astronomy web site and would like to use Stellarium to generate images for it. I emailed one of the developers about becoming licensed to do that but haven't received a reply. Anyone who can help me contact the right person, please post here.

• Fabien Chéreau

Fabien Chéreau - 2005-08-19

The images must be credited with at least a link to the stellarium web site + your web site must be under a GPL like liscence i.e available and reusable by everyone.

Fabien

• Rob Spearman

Rob Spearman - 2005-08-19

My understanding is that screenshots need to be licensed under the GPL. You don't need special permission to do this, as it is already granted to you in the GPL.

We would certainly appreciate credit given to Stellarium and a link to the Stellarium homepage.

The rest of your site content can have whatever license you want, as long as it is clear that it doesn't apply to the screenshots.

Hope this helps.

Rob

• Sergio Trujillo

Sergio Trujillo - 2005-08-19

About this, I think Stellarium could open by a link from any web site or other, like google maps or BitTorrent (the link could contain position and other datas to localice the sky on the program). It could be interesant. First, the user install Stellarium and then it can visit all the sky images in "real time" with the program, reading about the moment. To do this, I think important to open Stellarium on a windows, not in full screen.

I want Stellarium to be the best sky software for observation.

PD: I think web site that only refers to images of Stellarium is not necesary be licensed under GPL, only software that use the Stellarium GPL source...

Sergio Trujillo
      spanish translator

• Rick Wiegmann Koshko

As I understand the GPL, it's up to the program's author to decide how a program's products may be used when the products are created entirely from data the author supplied with the program--unless the program creates a modified version of itself which is not what we're talking about here.

I am the original poster of this thread. As favorably as Sergio and Rob would interpret the GPL for me, I feel I must respect Fabien's wishes. My intent is to respect copyright interests. Right now, I'm not sure I can make the entire site reusable by everyone while respecting the copyright interests of other potential contributors. I would gladly acknowledge Stellarium as the source of every image, link to the Stellarium site, and claim no rights of my own in the images. But someone else who submits an article to my site needs to know that his or her copyright isn't voided or altered merely because of other works appearing on my site.

Stellarium is fantastic software. I still can't believe it's available free. I do wish to volunteer my help translating it into Esperanto.

• Rob Spearman

Rob Spearman - 2005-08-26

It is not an issue to have GPL'd files on a website with other files with more restrictive copyright licenses. That was not the intent of the GPL. So this isn't a problem for the rest of your site.

Your website copyright statements just need to be clear about which licenses apply to which content.

Rob

(Another Stellarium developer.)

• Fabien Chéreau

Fabien Chéreau - 2005-08-26

Well I am not so sure about all of that, you should carefuly read the licence or find documentation about this issue.
        I personnaly have no objection to what you want to do.

Actually there has been plenty of magazine using stellarium screenshots without any problem, so I guess it should be OK for you.

Fabien