Menu

Neptune's moons on Windows 7 32bits vs Windows 64 bits

Feedback
Anonymous
2014-04-09
2014-04-09
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-04-09

When I use my PC (64bits) I can see Triton and all the major Neptune's moons. When I use my Notebook (32bits) I can't.
    Is that a bug or is it supposed to be normal ?
    Stellarium 0.12.4 is on both computer.
    We have the same "problem" with the comptuter (32 bits) we use in my Astronomy club.
    I thank by advance anyone who could give me a clue to resolve this "problem" (if it's one).

• Bogdan Marinov

Bogdan Marinov - 2014-04-09

It's very likely that on those computers Stellarium is using an old version of the Solar System file that still doesn't have those satellites.

Try deleting the user data directory - Stellarium will replace the old Solar System file with the default on the next restart.

The exact location of the user data directory depends on the operating system:
    - On Windows XP, it's something like C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Stellarium
    - On Vista/7, it's something like C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Stellarium

Instead of the whole directory, you can delete only the "ssystem.ini" file in the "data" sub-directory.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-04-09

Hi Bogdan,
      Thanks a lot for your help. Everything works perfectly now. I can see Triton and also Thalassa, Naïade, Galathée, etc...Maybe it would be worth to tell Stellarium's developers to manage in order to have directly the good file.
      Thanks again
      Raymond

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2014-04-09

The your user area holds many variations and additions to your version of the program. If you have modified it at any time re-installing Stellarium will not change these settings, even the config.ini else you would possibly lose specific information.

Any changes made to the ssystem.ini in the main program will need the ssystem.ini file updated manually. Especially if you have already added your own comet parameters.

The config.ini file is often in this category and if there has been a major change to the program the new version may not run unless the old version in the user area is erased manually

Barry