Menu

Not able to install STAF on Solaris 11

Ruby Zhang
2012-06-05
2013-06-12
  • Ruby Zhang

Ruby Zhang - 2012-06-05

Hello, I'm not able to install STAF on Solaris 11. I tried Solaris 10 and it worked.  Do you support it in the 3.4.9 version?

• Sharon Lucas

Sharon Lucas - 2012-06-05

What processor architecture is your Solaris 11 machine (e.g. sparc 32-bit, sparc 64-bit, x86 32-bit, or x64 64-bit)?
    Which STAF installer file did you try using to install STAF on this Solaris 11 machine?

The STAF V3.4.9 InstallAnywhere installer files (e.g. the .bin installer files such as STAF349-setup-solaris-sparc.bin) use InstallAnywhere 2010 to install STAF and it does not support Solaris 11.  I need to upgrade STAF to use InstallAnywhere 2011 which does support Solaris 11.

However, you should be able to use a STAF tar.gz installer file to install STAF on your Solaris 11 system.  You will need to download the appropriate STAF Solaris tar.gz file and untar it to a temporary directory (e.g. /tmp).  And then from the staf directory it creates (e.g. /tmp/staf) you need to run:

./STAFInst  -acceptlicense

to install STAF to the default location of /usr/local/staf.  See the STAF Installation Guide at http://staf.sourceforge.net/current/STAFInstall.pdf for more information on the STAFInst command and its install options.  Let me know if that works for you.

Also, please open a feature request to provide support for Solaris 11.  Then I'll update STAF to use InstallAnywhere 2011 or later so that all the STAF installer files will work on Solaris 11 and I'll verify that STAF itself works correctly on Solaris 11.

• Ruby Zhang

Ruby Zhang - 2012-06-05

OMG, thank you so much for your prompt reply, Sharon! I'm working on Sun Sparc 64-bit and Intel x64. I will first give a try to the tar.gz.

I get what you're saying about InstallAnywhere 2011 and I'm submitting a feature request regarding this.
    Have a great day!!!

• Sharon Lucas

What is the complete error message that you got when trying to install STAF V3.4.9 using a STAF InstallAnywhere .bin file and which STAF.bin file(s) did you try?

• Ruby Zhang

Ruby Zhang - 2012-06-05

I was on Intel x64 and I doubt about the installer I use. I used the following and got the error about not able to install many of the files. For example, the /usr/local/staf/bin is missing and many of the other files are missing. Sorry I'm not able to paste the whole error message 'cause I've released that host.
    Solaris 10+ (AMD Opteron 64-bit, aka x64) 64-bit 3.4.9 STAF349-setup-solaris-x64-64-NoJVM.bin

Now I'm getting a host image of Solaris 11 on Sun Sparc and would try it. I'll let you know the status and thank you!

• Sharon Lucas

Ok.  When your new Solaris 11 host image is available, you should also  try the STAF .bin installer that includes the JVM to see if it fails too instead of just the NoJVM .bin file in case there is a compatibility issue with the JVM.