Menu

Startup Manager - Access to Registry Denied

Help
2008-06-27
2013-05-02
  • David Adams

David Adams - 2008-06-27

Just installed Startup Manager 2.4.1 and tried to remove the checkmark to the left of a program that I wanted to temporarily stop a from loading at startup, but I get an error message saying that access to the registry is denied.  How to I get around this???

• Glenn Van Loon

Glenn Van Loon - 2008-06-27

Hi,

As far as I'm aware there are two possible causes:
      - You are not running Startup Manager as administrator
      - You are using windows 98 or lower (if so, try changing the "store disabled items in" setting in the settings dialog)

If you're sure it's none of the above, please provide me with as much information as possible.

• Breezin

Breezin - 2008-07-06

I get the exact same problem... this is windows Vista 64-bit Business Edition. The UAC is disabled and have tried to use the "Run as Administrator" as well with no change.

Couldn't Enable/disable selected item.
      Access to regisry denied
      OK

Any ideas?

• Christoph

Christoph - 2008-07-22

Also have the same problem, cannot deactivate any single program. Also with Vista, home edition premium.
      Which more information should we deliver?

• Christoph

Christoph - 2008-07-22

Addition: I can modify all of the "Registry/Computer" items, but none of the other sections.

• Glenn Van Loon

Glenn Van Loon - 2008-07-23

Honestly, so far I haven't been able to reproduce these problems myself. There seem to be a lot of users affected by this problem, but none of the users I know personally has them, so I cannot witness this behaviour myself. And as long as I don't have access to a machine with Startup Manager installed that is affected by the problem, I cannot fix it.

• Glenn Van Loon

Glenn Van Loon - 2008-07-30

• Stephen Innes

Stephen Innes - 2008-09-07

I am suffering from the same dilemma. i.e. access to registry denied. originally all items generated the message, however after running msconfig startup I find that some items are now responding, but not the ones I want :) I do not know how to run rar files or command lines so just want a simple programme that works.

• jgeison

jgeison - 2008-10-18

I ran the testdisableregistry program and it fails with "Couldn't disable item (access to registry denied)." A new test items shows up in Startup Manager and I can't disable it from there either.  I'm running Vista Ultimate and startup manager 2.4.2 downloaded today.

• Glenn Van Loon

Glenn Van Loon - 2008-10-20

Hi,

I'd like to ask the users who are suffering from this problem to provide us with the permissions of the following registry keys:

- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Startup Manager\startupfolder
      - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

You can navigate to this keys in regedit.

The permissions that are relevant are those for the creator, administrator group and the administrator account under which Startup Manager runs.

You can view the persmission by selecting the key in regedit, hitting the right mouse button and clicking persmissions...

Thanks for your help. I hope this will give us more information about the problem.

• Chris Rodriguez

Chris Rodriguez - 2008-10-22

FYI,

I was having the exact same problem as everyone else.  However, I could manually delete the same items from the registry.  I took the advice with the permissions of the below registry keys

- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Startup Manager\startupfolder
      - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

and noticed that my administrators group had full access, but the current user, who was a member of that same group, was only given special permissions access. As soon as I added full control to the current user, everything worked like a charm.  Thanks for the helpful hint. 

• Glenn Van Loon

Glenn Van Loon - 2008-10-23

I'm glad that fixed the problem for you.

• Michael Anthony

Michael Anthony - 2008-11-05

Hi,
      I have the Access Denied problem too with XP pro :(
      Please could you tell me where the reg keys are.
      I have run regedit and I have 5 folders of HKEY and I cannot find HKLM where do I go next.
      Thanks
      Michael

• Glenn Van Loon

Glenn Van Loon - 2008-11-05

Hi,

HKLM is the abbreviation for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

• Michael Anthony

Michael Anthony - 2008-11-06

Hi,
      Thanks for your answer. The day is not lost...I have learnt something new :)
      I have found the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Startup Manager\startupfolder and I have total permision but I do not have a HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder.
      I have
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Addin Designer
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphic Files
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\HTML
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSInfo followed by
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSQuery
      \MSWinWrite
      \MSWord6
      \Registration Wizard
      \Stationary
      \Text Converters

Thats it no MSconfig am I missing something ??
      I have installed Manager into my own programs folder on C: does that make a differance??

Thanks
      Michael

• Glenn Van Loon

Glenn Van Loon - 2008-11-07

Hi,

Installing Startup Manager in a different older does not have any consequences. If the MSConfig key does not exist, that's an MSConfig issue and you probably won't be able to make disabled items MSConfig compatible. So I recommend you to open the Startup Manager settings dialog (System > Settings), select the Advanced page, click on the "Startup Manager key" option in the "Store disabled items in" box and then click OK. This will make sure disabled items are stored in the Startup Manager subkeys and not in your non-existing MSConfig key.

Also make sure not only the permissions for the startupfolder key are correct, but also for the three other startup keys.

Greetings,
        Glenn

• Michael Anthony

Michael Anthony - 2008-11-07

Hi Glen,
      I have checked the Manager startup folder when I Rt click a window opens with a list of users Michael (thats me I´m the only person to use my laptop) has total control but creator owner does not and whats really anoying is that when I click the total conntrol box a tick appears but when I click accept it gets cleared.
      OK now I´m out of my depth but bodly went into the advanced settings (woo Cptn Kirk) modified the Creator Owner for total control for this & its sub folders but still I can not Chk the box in the first window and I still have access denied.
      Would it be any help if I sent some screen shots?
      Thanks for your help
      Michael

• Glenn Van Loon

Glenn Van Loon - 2008-11-07

Hi,

Startup Manager runs as the current user (your user account), so this is the only account that requires full control. The permissions for the creator/owner don't matter because Startup Manager is not the creator.
        To be able to change the permissions of a key, of course you yourself need permission to do so. But I suppose that won't be the problem (administrators can change permissions by default), you can send a screenshot if you want to, but I don't think I'll be able to help you.

Make sure to be careful while using tools to take control of registry keys. If you make a mistake while changing the permissions you might screw up your Windows installation.

Greetings,
        Glenn

• Michael Anthony

Michael Anthony - 2008-11-08

Hi Glen,
      I was trying to follow your answer of 2008-10-20 17:32 But I´ll try again I really want to sort this out because there are all sorts of programs starting at boot up.
      Thanks
      Michael

• Michael Anthony

Michael Anthony - 2008-11-08

Hi Glen,
      I only started Startup Manager to get to your home page and send my last message but before I closed it I clicked on an item and IT WORKED no "access denied" Maybe it just needed a reboot after I changed the permissions???
      Thanks for you help
      Michael

• Glenn Van Loon

Glenn Van Loon - 2008-11-09

Hi,

I'm glad it works now. Normally it's enough to just restart Startup Manager, but it sure is possible a your system required a restart in order to get the new permissions applied.

• MÆST

MÆST - 2009-01-21

I had this problem on a fresh install of XP Pro.

I can confirm that since the MSConfig key did not exist in my case, the steps I took as outlined above were to:

1) Go to Startup Manager settings dialog (System > Settings), select the Advanced page, click on the "Startup Manager key" option in the "Store disabled items in" box and then click OK.

2) regedit to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Startup Manager\ and edit the permisions of the 4 keys so that my user (who is should be the admin and the only user) has full access.

Thanks for the help and I hope this helps others.

• Martin

Martin - 2010-08-17

Hey guys! Love StartupManager, use sourceforge all the time, figured it's time I made an account..

I figured out what the problem is with the registry permission error. The key where msconfig stores the disabled items (HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Shared Tools/msconfig) isn't created until you run msconfig for the first time (you don't have to do anything with it, just start it once). The easiest fix for users who have this problem is to just run it once and that's it. For the developers, maybe you can just quickly check if the key exists and if not, create it?

Did I already say I love StartupManager? msconfig and BHO cleaning all in one…

• Martin

Martin - 2010-08-17

Also, I couldn't find any documentation on this but you can use CLI arguments (parameters to give an executable) for silent installs.

Install without menu: StartupManagerSetup.exe /silent
    Install without showing anything: StartupManagerSetup.exe /verysilent
    Install without desktop icons or start menu entries: StartupManagerSetup.exe  /noicons

-Martin
    ps, I wrote it all out so that hopefully googlebot will find it!

• Martin

Martin - 2010-08-18

Wow just realized I'm the first person in over 1.5 years to post a message on this thread, hope people haven't forgotten..
    Just to refresh the thread and search engines (feel free to delete this post):

SOLVED: Startup Manager access to registry denied - problem SOLVED: Run msconfig once to fix problem (creates needed keys)
    Command line: StM_setup242-re.exe /silent  - automatically install without user interaction
    Auto install: StM_setup242-re.exe /verysilent - automatically install without any visible action (only takes a couple seconds!)
    CLI Arguments: StM_setup242-re.exe /noicons - don't install desktop or start menu icons. this has to be used with /silent or /verysilent.

btw if you (developers/end users) have other questions/problems/etc let me know because I'm a lead tech/developer in a group of IT guys (with varying skill) and will probably be doing the support for my guys when it comes to apps like this and at the very least, it's good to know what kind of problems users encouter ahead of time even if I don't have a quick solution.

-Martin

ps, anyone who wants to be able to run StartupManager without first running msconfig, copy this text into a text file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

and rename the file to something like msc-keys.reg and then run it. I'm including the contents of the reg file as text in this post because I expect (hope?) endusers will not download reg files randomly. As you can see, all this regfile will do is create empty keys (like folders for the registry), and this will fix any "permission" issues (unless you're using a windows user account with reduced privileges, but who does that? No really, who isn't root/su on their win system?!?)

pps: if the stuff in my "ps:" section doesn't make any sense, just click on start>run and type in msconfig, press enter, close the window that pops up, and StartupManager should work!