Welcome to Help

Help
2006-08-25
2013-05-28
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Welcome to Help

• Chuck Divine

Chuck Divine - 2006-10-28

I've had a Samsung ML-1740 printer for some time.  It was working perfectly fine with my old system -- which then crashed.  I purchased a new Compaq Presario SR2030NX, had the old hard drive installed, got the system home and found Suse Linux 10.0 working just fine. 

The problem with the printer began when I discovered the new system didn't have a parallel port as my old system did.  Went back to the store, got a USB to parallel printer converter cable and hooked up the printer with that.

When I tried setting up the printer with Yast2, it did seem to recognize a USB port with eee1284controller.  When I sent a signal to the printer, the printer did react, just not with any printing.  Research on the web suggested "splix" might help.  I downloaded splix-0.0.1.tar.gz, unpacked it and extracted the files using tar.  So far so good.  I then attempted to use make from the splix directory.  Here's what make produced:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/chuckdivine/splix/src'
      g++ -O2 -I../include   -c -o spl2.o spl2.cpp
      In file included from spl2.cpp:22:
      ../include/printer.h:24:22: error: cups/ppd.h: No such file or directory
      ../include/printer.h:30: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘ppd_file_t’ with no type
      ../include/printer.h:30: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
      ../include/printer.h:54: error: expected `)' before ‘*’ token
      make[1]: *** [spl2.o] Error 1
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/chuckdivine/splix/src'
      make: *** [install] Error 2

I have two questions at this time.  First, am I even on the right track using splix for the problem of getting the Samsung to work from a USB port?  Secondly, if I am, what's going wrong with the make?

• watergate

watergate - 2006-12-29

Yes, the USB cable should make it possible to print.
        http://splix.sourceforge.net/ says, that SpliX supports Samsung ML-1740.

ppd.h was not found. This means, that your system is missing libcupsys2-dev,
        a cups development package, necessary for the compilation of SpliX.

To solve this, Debian users simply type (as superuser):
        "apt-get install libcupsys2-dev"
        and try to "make" again.

-grz Paul