Menu

Quizzes in Moodle are not isolated

Help
2013-12-09
2013-12-11
  • Riccardo Mazza

Riccardo Mazza - 2013-12-09

Hi,

We are using Moodle V. 2.4.7 and we activated the Safe Exam Browser quiz setting.

I have tried both SEB v. 1.5.2 and v. 2.0 pre2 on Mac OSX (running OSX v. 10.9), configuration URL points directly to the URL of the quiz. I still see the navigation links and breadcrumbs links on the page. So the SEB is not properly isolating the student in the quiz, as I can still navigate to the other courses and use other moodle resources.

Is there a way to isolate these navigation links, so that the student is locked in the Moodle quiz?

Thanks and regards.

Riccardo

Last edit: Riccardo Mazza 2013-12-09
  • Daniel Schneider

Hi Riccardo

As you're saying you activated the "Secure Browser: Safe Exam Browser" setting in Moodle I guess the problem is a custom Moodle theme/skin. Unfortunately the secure quiz mode doesn't work with all skins. The skin needs to be implemented following the latest Moodle specifications as far as I know (but I'm no Moodle developer).

And as far as I remember the quiz could be opened when you're logged in as a teacher in any case and then it's still showing the breadcrumbs, you have to log in as student to test it properly.

Btw. in case you want to use the Browser Exam Key / Request Header Check feature: It has an implementation bug in SEB 2.0pre2. It will work correctly in the SEB 2.0 Release Candidate version which we will release for Mac and Windows before the Xmas holidays.

• Daniel Schneider

I forgot: You can activate the standard Moodle theme and try if the exam mode works properly then.

Greetings
    Daniel

• Riccardo Mazza

Riccardo Mazza - 2013-12-11

Hi Daniel,
    thanks for your feedback.
    I switched my course to the theme "standard white", at it works.
    It still presents the navigation panel on the left before the quiz attempt, but as soon as the student starts a new quiz attempt, the navigation panel disappears and the quiz can be conducted until the end without any navigation link.
    Nice and useful work. Thanks a lot to make this available.

Ciao
    Riccardo