Menu

Work still continuing?

SteveT
2004-07-21
2004-09-09
  • SteveT

SteveT - 2004-07-21

I haven't seen a new release of SpamAssassin for a while (ever in fact). Is anybody still working on this project? I have downloaded the source and made some mods to work around some features I didn't like. I noticed that the CVS files have not been updated for ages.

• Reinier Battenberg

Hi,

I took the code and enhanced it a bit/ I'm happily using it and still filtering better than our corporate spamfilter :-)
      I have only enhanced the VB code (and am still working on it a bit). I currently don't really have a release, but if there is people interested, I think I can assemble something.
      The install of spamassasin I did manually, which is a real pain in the but on windows, so I don't expect a real big audience for this thing, unless someone tackles that and makes a nice setup for it. Any volunteers?

rgds,
      reinier
      http://www.simama.net

• SteveT

SteveT - 2004-07-27

Hi,
      It would be nice to get hold of the original setup for the project. If mackenab or mrfiesta are reading, please help!
      I installed the original setup (v00.02.01) and just rebuild a new dll with the changes I make. I have also downloaded the latests rules from the spamassassin.org site. I suggest that everyone do this anyway. The latest rules are alot better than those included in the release.

The main problem I see is that without developer access to the project, no one except mackenab or mrfiesta can create a new release or access the CVS. (I may be incorrect about this, as I have not made changes to other peoples projects on SourceForge. If so, let me know!)

If mackenab and mrfiesta have disappeared off the face of the Earth, won the lottery, or have found something more interesting to do, then the only way to proceed may be to create a new project based on this code. From the page views and downloads the project gets, there sure is alot of interest in this solution to spam.

Comments appreciated,

Steve

• SteveT

SteveT - 2004-07-27

...Continued.

Thought of some more stuff!

In case anyone is interested, the changes I have made are:

1) Scan current folder instead of Inbox.
      2) Show the folder being scanned on the main form.
      3) Changed the spam note to be a message with the sender and subject data intact. This is good because you can see who sent the email.
      4) Spam items in the Spam folder stay unread (bold) so I know that there are some to be checked (in case of false positives).

Things I am working on:
      1) 'UnSpam Msg' button that will take a false positive and reconstruct the original email and put it in a 'Recovered Spam' folder. This is needed because I cannot drag and drop a spam message back into the Inbox. The sender and subject always get messed up.

Steve

• Chris

Chris - 2004-08-06

Hi,

Any chance of putting it up somewhere?

Chris.

• Reinier Battenberg

Hi,

That is my plan, however, I started a pretty major uphoal, and everything is pretty messed up at the moment. It is however on my top private IT-Todo list.
        Give me another week or to, and I will try put something together.
        rgds,
        reinier

• SteveT

SteveT - 2004-08-06

Hi, I talked to the support guys on SourceForge about the unknown state of the project and didn't get very far. They keep telling me to look at the home page, which I assume they are refering to the http://spamassassin.org site. As far as I can tell, this is an unrelated site.

While looking around, I did find a page of a guy that wrote another Outlook Add-In for SpamAssassin. He has stopped using it and wrote his own program 'SpamBayes anti-spam' (http://sourceforge.net/projects/spambayes/) using a Bayesian filter. I down loaded it and it works great. It does not give the false positives that SpamAssassin did. I suggest that everyone give this a try. The project is really good.

I have not worked on the SpamAssassin Add-In since installing SpamBayes, and probably won't continue unless the 'sa-learn' part of SpamAssassin is incorporated.

Steve

• Reinier Battenberg

Hi,

couple of weeks ago I promised to do some extra work. I won't. I switched to spambayes, and it does exactly what it should do (btw it works a lot quicker than spamassasin on windows (which is caused by windows, not spamassasion :-)

rgds,
        reinier
        http:/www.simama.net