Menu

Thesaurus

2005-07-04
2013-05-28
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,
    I'm working on a feasibility study to create a web-based bibliographic database and need a program to manage not only the references in general, but also the indexing: I have already started working at a thesaurus and I would like to integrate it to my database.
    How cand I do that with RefBase?

Sincerely,
    Denisa

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Denisa,

I'm not sure if I've understood what you're trying to accomplish. Could you elaborate your goals a bit? What would be the exact requirements to make an integration with refbase work for you?

There were users asking for full text indexing capabilities in refbase but we haven't followed this path (yet) since there are currently other tasks of higher priority. Anyhow, I'd love to offer full text indexing and search capabilities in the long run.

Regards, Matthias

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thank you for answering!

The database will be only bibliographic, it will not include full text.
      When I say indexing, I refer to an organized list of descriptors, a controlled vocabulary to describe the subject of a document! A list that people will use to search the database, instead of taping keywords that are not so precise in defining their needs.
      Does RefBase manage these kind of lists ?

Faithfully,
      Denisa

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Denisa,

> When I say indexing, I refer to an organized list of descriptors,
        > a controlled vocabulary to describe the subject of a document!

ah, I see.

> A list that people will use to search the database, instead of
        > taping keywords that are not so precise in defining their needs.
        > Does RefBase manage these kind of lists ?

Currently not. refbase-0.8.0 offers generic keywords and user-specific keywords but does not offer a popup window (or something similar) with a pre-defined list of keywords for insertion (which would be useful, of course). Having a list of all existing keywords available on edit would be nice as well.

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement support for controlled word lists. However, I guess this would require Javascript (I'll be happy to hear otherwise) which I have kinda avoided until now. So, it seems doable (and very useful) but unfortunately I cannot speculate if and when this might happen.

Slightly related: we were also thinking about a tag feature (i.e. user-specific keywords that are visible by everyone) as is used by services like del.icio.us or CiteULike.

Regards, Matthias