Menu

Anothe fancy-mode problem.

Developers
Anonymous
2010-03-13
2012-11-20
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-03-13

I'm using the precompiled Windows version: I don't know if this problem will occur otherwise. If this bug - I think it must be a bug - has already been reported, I apologise…

If I understand the documentation correctly, """" (four double-quotes) is the REDUCE form of a string containing one double-quote character. When FANCY is OFF, typing WRITE """"; outputs a double-quote, as expected; however, when FANCY is ON, REDUCE outputs an epsilon character instead!

Kay

• Arthur Norman

Arthur Norman - 2010-03-14

Yes - this is a bug. Thanks for reporting it. You get the same unexpecte doutput if you go !" as well to have an identifier whose name is a double-quote mark; And prompted by this I find that "&" and various other cases give really weird output too!

This appears to start with a glitch in packages/tmprint.red where the desired output should be being generated in a TeX-like format and eg the input "%" turns into \black$ \displaystyle  %$ (the "$" put things in maths mode but the percent character is then not escaped and could look like a TeX comment marker.

I will look furher - but if any other user or developer would like to look hard at packages/tmprint.red and see if they cam propose corrections that would be good.

I check the output from tmprint by going into the directory where the reduce binaries are and saying

./reduce.com -w                   
       on fancy;                                
       (x+y)^2;
    at which stage it echoes
       latex:\black$\displaystyle  x^2+2\*x\*y+y^2$
    with funny chars at the start and end that delimit the "maths mode" output.

Thanks again for the report. SOme time over Easter I hope to have consolidated in some other updates and have time to make a new set of binary releases, so with luck we can get thgis one addressed (at least in part) for that.

Arthur

• Arthur Norman

Arthur Norman - 2010-03-14

OK, the subversion copy now has some hacks that move in the correct direction and the particular case of 4 double-quotesin a row now behaves better. It is clear that there will be more to do! Anybody who has already built from subversion will need to recompile everythint to pick this up because I needed to extend my TeX processing in part of Fox to know about \textasciitilde and \textbackslash and \textasciicircum, as well as altering tmprint.red.

I will look some more later on, I hope.

Arthur