Menu

Rasberry Pi Model B+ and FreePBX

Patrick
2014-07-21
2015-04-13
  • Patrick

Patrick - 2014-07-21

Hello,
    I'm new to Rasberry Pi, I'm trying to installed raspbx-14-02-2014.zip on a Sandisk 8GB Mirco SD.
    When I download from the site either on my PC or Mac and install the software following the recommend guidelines it just doesn't boot!
    Sometimes it boots but keyboard doesn't work. In all times I get no Network lights. If I use the same Micro SD card with NOOBS that works fine.

I'm wondering a few things is the file raspbx-14-02-2014.zip corrupt at http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/download/raspbx-14-02-2014.zip or does the file not support the Model B+?

Can someone help?

Patrick

• Patrick

Patrick - 2014-07-22

Just to add I tested by downloading Pidora-2014-R2-1 and used SFFormatter wiped my SD card (Format size adjuster on), and used Win32DiskImager to write the IMG. Booted just fine. Just seems to be a problem with raspbx-14-02-2014 and the previous image. Re-downloaded and tested again same issue also if I used the Torrent version. Any ideas?

Patrick

• Patrick

Patrick - 2014-07-22

Hi,

I just installed incrediblepi-3.11 with no issues to the SD card so I really think something's up with the image posted. Can someone else check and reply please?

Patrick

• Ryan

Ryan - 2014-07-29

I am also having the same issue with my new Raspberry Pi b+. I'm going to try an older version and see if that works.

• Ryan

Ryan - 2014-07-30

Didn't work. Also tried installing through the pi store, but kept getting mysql errors. Must have something to do with the ethernet settings I'm assuming

• drgeoff

drgeoff - 2014-07-30

What didn't work? An older version of Raspbx? See my post of today further down.

Explanation of why USB and ethernet do not work when using old software on a B+.

USB and ethernet are in a separate chip from the CPU and RAM package. In the B that chip has its own 25 MHz crystal oscillator. In the B+ that oscillator is replaced by a clock signal generated by the CPU chip. But the CPU has to be programmed to do that by the firmware. New B/B+ firmware does that when it is in a B+. Old B only firmware does not. So using B only firmware on a B+ results in no USB and no ethernet.

Last edit: drgeoff 2014-07-30
  • drgeoff

drgeoff - 2014-07-29

If you have a new B+ RPi the firmware in anything before about June 2014 is too old. Update it by putting the micro-SD card in a B and running (sudo) rpi-update or overwrite /boot/bootcode.bin and /boot/start.elf with latest ones from any image at http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads or take them from a card containing IncrediblePBX 3.11.11.

(The LAN/USB chip and its configuration are different from the B.)

Last edit: drgeoff 2014-07-30
  • Juan

Juan - 2014-07-30

I just tried what drgeoff suggested.

• Freshly flashed RasPBX
    • Load into Model B
    • Boot and run rpi-update
    • shutdown -h now
    • Insert card into Model B+

No booting, green led flashing once periodically very briefly.

• drgeoff

drgeoff - 2014-07-30

Well I have a few minutes ago:
      Downloaded RasPBX 14-02-2014 and unzipped it
      Flashed with Win32DiskImager to a fresh 8 Gbyte Kingston u-SD card
      Booted Model B 256 Mbyte RPi with said card
      Logged in as root using local keyboard and HDMI display and ran 'rpi-update'.
      When completed, issued 'shutdown -h now' and waited for all LEDs except PWR to extinguish
      Transferred u-SD card to Model B+ RPi.
      Applied power
      Watched it boot to log-in prompt
      Logged in as root and entered 'raspbx-upgrade' but got reply "Error determining current version available online"
      Entered 'ifconfig' which gave 127.0.0.1
      Rebooted and saw 'failure to bring up eth0" device (can't remember exact wording.)
      Shutdown
      Put card back in B and booted that
      In boot messages saw that eth0 had been assigned 192.168 ... address
      Logged in as root and ran 'apt-get update'
      Ran 'apt-get upgrade' and answered 'y'
      Waited for 74 Mbyte download and installation of updates
      Shutdown
      Put card in B+ and booted.
      Ran 'ifconfig' but still 127.0.0.1

Out of time just now. Will try to investigate more later.

• Juan

Juan - 2014-07-30

FYI guys, I'd love to use RasPBX rather than IncrediblePi, since I don't like all the extra stuff they load into it. I just want a stock FPBX setup without having to manually build it.

Please advise if there might be a different fix to get it going.

• drgeoff

drgeoff - 2014-07-30

OK, after the failure above here is what does work (at least for me!) for a B+.

Download the latest Raspbian from raspberrypi.org/dowloads. After unzipping, flash the image file to your SD card (>=4Mbyte). Remove card from computer and re-insert to computer. If using Windows it may offer to "fix" the card. Decline that. Open the drive (the approx 60 Mbyte one if running Linux or OS that finds more than two partitions on the card.) Copy all the files to an empty folder on the computer.

Flash Raspbx 14-02-2014 to an SD card (can be the same one you put Raspbian on.) Again remove and re-insert and open the only or smaller drive. Delete all the files and replace them with the ones you saved above from Raspbian. Eject card and put in RPi.

B+ RPi should now boot, obtaining IP address by DHCP and with working USB. You will see some error messages - could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/3.12.22+/modules.dep.bin'. I don't know how serious those are. :-(

(The Raspbian download, uzipped image and saved files are no longer required and may be deleted.)

Either log in with local keyboard and monitor or by ssh and run 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get upgrade'. Reboot.

If you have a very recent Model B that will not boot from the Raspbx 14-02-2014 image, the above may also may also cure that. Two reasons. 1) at various times new suppliers of RAM chip have been used. Each one needs updated firmware. 2.) Because of a shortage of LAN/USB chips originally used in the B, some Bs were manufactured with the pin compatible LAN/USB chip used in the B+. Whether that actually needs different firmware I don't know.

• Gernot

Gernot - 2014-07-31

Please try this image with latest firmware included:
    http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/download/raspbx-31-07-2014.zip.torrent

It's only on Bittorrent for now, will post it on the website later. Please let me know if this one works with the latest B+ models.

• Juan

Juan - 2014-07-31

Thanks Gernot, I'm downloading it now. Will let you know how it goes.

• Juan

Juan - 2014-07-31

Looking good so far Gernot.

• Wrote the image with Win32DiscImager.
    • Boot up Pi B+ headless.
    • It got an IP and I'm on it with SSH.

So everything looks fine so far. I'll report back if I find any oddities.

• Juan

Juan - 2014-08-01

Hi guys, just FYI.

The first reboot gave me a hung Pi with both red and green LEDs on. I unplugged and replugged it. Booted fine after. I'm not sure if this is isolated, but yeah. Will keep an eye on it.

Regards,
    Juan

• Gernot

Gernot - 2014-08-01

Thanks for testing! Please let me know if your booting issues happen again.

• drgeoff

drgeoff - 2014-08-01

I can also confirm booting OK with working USB keyboard and working LAN (ssh, FreePBX GUI and FreePBX online module check). I have not experienced any reboot hangs.

Have not checked PBX funtionality.

Thanks

• Glen Cunningham

Glen Cunningham - 2014-08-25

I've just tried raspbx-31-07-2014.zip. sha1sum checks OK. unzip and dd to microSD card.
    Runs fine on my OLD model B. Will not boot into a Model B+ (B Plus). No amount of power cycling gets a boot.
    I did try 'rpi-update' when logged into the old model B - claims that system is up-to-date. I will try to compare the /boot/bootcode.bin and /boot/start.elf files from a working raspbian SD card.

Edit: Disregard all that. In desperation, I did a complete hardware change. New 'Pi model B+, new keyboard, freshly written SD-card. All working now. Just need to confirm that the expensive Dell-badged keyboard was the culprit and not a faulty 'Pi. :-(

Last edit: Glen Cunningham 2014-08-25
  • mfarmwald

mfarmwald - 2015-04-12

Maybe I'm the only one confused about this, but I wasted a bit of time try to install on a Raspberry Pi 2. There is no HDMI output (or very sporadic) with raspbx-22-02-2015 (which I thought meant it wasn't working.) I finally ssh'ed in and it seems to be working.

Should there be HDMI output?

• Gernot

Gernot - 2015-04-13

Yes there is HDMI output, definitely! It works fine on my own Pi 2. Maybe it helps to try a different screen.