Please help me install Qtstalker in Linux Mint 17

Help
goog64
2015-01-20
2015-01-22
  • goog64

goog64 - 2015-01-20

Hi,
    I would really like to try this as a substitute for Amibroker, but I have been Googling and trying for weeks and I cannot figure out how to install qtstalker. Can anybody please help? (The problem is you will need to be able to explain it to a guy who does not work in tech and has very little experience with Linux. I can't understand most of the stuff that is written at the Ubuntu and Mint forums.)
    Thanks
    John

Last edit: goog64 2015-01-20
  • Alexander Semke

Alexander Semke - 2015-01-20

Download the source code of qtstalker. Unpack the tarball, open a terminal and navigate to the folder with the source code. Type in ./configure and hit enter.
    Most probably you'll get some errors because of non-existing libraries which qtstalker depends on. Install them like it's documenten in the docs/install.html file and execute ./configure again.

• goog64

goog64 - 2015-01-20

Thank you for your help Alexander.
    I have Googled "what is a tarball" and "how to unpack a tarball", but there are some things I don't think I will find on Google, such as:
    What does the source code look like and where is it? (I downloaded that file on the other page called qtstalker_0.32-1_i386.deb. But that's not a tarball is it? Is that the source code? When I double click on the downloaded file it opens the package installer and then says ERROR: DEPENDENCY IS NOT SATISFIABLE: libdb4.2)
    How can I install non-existing libraries if they don't exist?
    How do I "install something like it's a document"?

Last edit: goog64 2015-01-20
  • Alexander Semke

Alexander Semke - 2015-01-21

deb-package is not a tarball. If you already have a package for ubuntu, just install it like you already tried. You miss the libdb package. Search in ubuntu's repository (software center?) for libdb and isntall it. Then try with the deb-package you've downloaded again.

• goog64

goog64 - 2015-01-22

Thanks Alexander. I searched for both "libdb4.2" and "libdb4." and got no results. (A search for libdb gives over 200 results).
    Is there somewhere else I can look for libdb4.2?
    Or is there a qtstalker "package" that includes all the files that are needed?
    (Note: I'm using Mint 17, not Ubuntu.)

Last edit: goog64 2015-01-22