TI and Renesas

Voegel
2015-11-24
2016-03-16
  • Voegel

Voegel - 2015-11-24

Hi Miro,

How is it going?

I'm looking to develop some QP application of a TI processor TMS320F28069 and a Renesas H8S/2368.
    Have already developed some ports for these types of CPU?

I wish a great Week.

BR

• Quantum Leaps

Quantum Leaps - 2015-11-25

Hi Michael,
    The QP Development Kits (QDKs) for TI C28 and Renesas H8S are now called "legacy-QDKs", and are all available for download from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qpc/files/legacy-QDKs/

Please read the README.txt file in this download directory, but basically the "legacy-QDKs" are not recommended for new projects. The "legacy-QDKs" do not come with commercial support from Quantum Leaps, although questions about "legacy-QDKs" are welcome on this Support Forum.

--MMS

• Michael Ricci

Michael Ricci - 2016-01-16

Hi Miro,
    So are you saying you don't recommend using QP with TI C28 processors; or just that you can't provide full support for applications on C28 processors?
    We are doing advanced motor control and need the compute power and hardware peripherals on the latest C28 series processors, and it seems like QP is a great framework to do this with.
    What is your reason for no longer supporting C28?
    Thanks for your feedback,
    Mike

• Quantum Leaps

Quantum Leaps - 2016-01-17

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your interest in QP for TI C28.

Currently, the TI C28 is available only as a "legacy QDK". The reason why it has not been updated for the latest QP is very simple--the tremendous cost in both time and lost opportunity to innovate faster. I hope anybody can understand that mainaining any such port and suite of examples is very time consuming and requires keeping up with constantly chaning development tools and boards. Such expense is only justified if there is continuous demand from active QP users. Your post counts as a vote for the C28, so chances are that support for this CPU will be re-introduced to the new releases of QP. As I recall, the C28 was a good match for QP.

I hope that the legacy QDK for C28 should be adequate to evaluate QP for your project. Please note that the QDK-C28 is compatible with QP 4.5.03, which is available for a separate download.

Please make a post to this forum or contact Quantum Leaps if you need help.

--MMS

Last edit: Quantum Leaps 2016-01-17
  • Michael Ricci

Michael Ricci - 2016-01-20

Hi Miro,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I made some awful mashup of the legacy C28 BSP and (I think) the newer 5.4 and/or 5.5 QP framework files and the latest QM tool. So I am getting along OK.
    It is all a bit more complicated than I anticipated and I haven't had time to really absorb everything yet and quite understand what I am doing-- but the Dining Philospher Problem is running on the C2000 LaunchPad LAUNCHXL-F28377S demo board from TI with some mish-mash of your tools. (I think the "port" files I am using are all from 4.5 ...?)
    Anyway, if someone needs this port (which I can't guarantee is done correctly-- but is at least running) I can provide it.

-Mike

• Quantum Leaps

Quantum Leaps - 2016-01-20

I can offer to at least "eyeball" your C28 port to check it for sanity. You can send it to info@state-machine.com.

--MMS

• Michael Ricci

Michael Ricci - 2016-01-22

Thanks-- I'm buried in a couple of final reports and proposals for a week or so, then I'll get it to you.

• Michael Ricci

Michael Ricci - 2016-03-16

Miro,
    Still working on getting that port to you. I spent quite a while tracking down a random assertion that would happen in my motor controller code (based off of the working dpp code). I used your advice of starting with a working code (dpp) and just added my motor control into it, then started deleting dpp out, but somehting started asserting when I did that and it took a while to find.
    I think if I go back I have the original working dpp version, but it might not have all the fixes, etc.that I added as I moved my demo code forward. so I'll have to go back and clean up my dpp port a bit before I send it to you.
    I was frustrated at first, but now that my motor controller code (demonstration/prototype, not fully working yet) is working I am pretty happy with QM and QP.
    Thanks,
    Mike