Menu

timidity sounds better than pykaraoke

Help
Matthew M
2007-12-08
2013-04-25
  • Matthew M

Matthew M - 2007-12-08

Hello.  I've noticed that pykaraoke is playing different instruments than timidity on its own.  An example on my Kubuntu Gutsy machine is "Boyzone - When The Going Gets Tough.kar".  When played with pykaraoke (v. 0.5 but I presume 0.51 is the same as it doesn't report any changes in this area) the percussive sound a couple of seconds in sounds like a burst of machine gun fire rather than the rising pitch swooshy noise, the main drum is awful and the vocal track is  reduced to the odd "cheep".  Things are even worse using eawpats because the vocal track appears to be a whistle which, once started, never stops - possibly explained by a comment in eawpat's changelog about making the whistle loop.

Playing the same karaoke file with timidity (v. 2.13.2) is fine using either set of instruments.  Doing an strace reveals that pykaraoke indeed opens "whistle1" but timidity doesn't.

As I haven't seen this reported anywhere else I expect it's something silly I'm doing, but what?

Many thanks.

• Kelvin Lawson

Kelvin Lawson - 2007-12-08

Hi Matthew,

As this is something going on under-the-hood in the pygame library and SDL, could you try asking the question on the pygame list? Someone on there would be better able to answer this.

Regards,
      Kelvin.

• Matthew M

Matthew M - 2007-12-08

Thanks!  I'll do that.