Menu

python.exe crash if debugging wth pyDev 1.3.4

Oskar Heck
2007-05-31
2013-03-15
  • Oskar Heck

Oskar Heck - 2007-05-31

Hi all,

Since i updated from 1.3.3 to 1.3.4, my python.exe crashes often, if i debug.

I use Python25 on WindowsXP SP2. In the dwwin.exe - Window appears:

AppName: python.exe        AppVer: 0.0.0.0      ModName: python25.dll
        ModVer: 2.5.150.1013       Offset: 0008197a

Is there someone having similar problems?

Oskar

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2007-05-31

Wow, pretty strange... does this happen always or is it more sporadic? Can you reproduce it in a simple test case?

Cheers,

Fabio

• Oskar Heck

Oskar Heck - 2007-05-31

Hi,

i use the wx framework, and i found out that it crashes always at certain methods of my project, which use wx. When i set a breakpoint before these methods and step carefully in the debugger and use Step-into instead of Step Over, then it works!

Then i made a simple wx application with wxGlade, but debugging works there without any problems.

Oskar

• Oskar Heck

Oskar Heck - 2007-05-31

Just for clarity: My program works, if i run it without debugger. But if i just run it in the debugger, it crashes in some methods (even if the debugger never hit a breakpoint before)

• Fabio Zadrozny

Yeap, the debugger can 'touch' things that may change some things slightly, but that should not make your programs crash -- it doesn't use any compiled extension nor anything like that, just pure python code, and tries to touch as little as possible -- the best way to fix it would be being able to reproduce it here, so, if you can manage to do some kind of demo where it crashes, it would be awesome, and would make it possible for me to fix it, but it's very hard for me to fix it without being able to reproduce it (because it turns into a guessing game for me).

Also, it would be nice to open a bug report about it, so that you can attach code and we can keep track of related things better.

Cheers,

Fabio

• Oskar Heck

Oskar Heck - 2007-05-31

I got it reproducable with the wxPython2.6 Docs and Demos (maybe the error will also occur with the current wxPython 2.8)

1. Create a pyDev projekt:
      - Directory to demo (i.e. C:\Programme\wxPython2.6 Docs and Demos\demo)
      - Project type: python 2.5
      - don't create default 'src' folder

2. Get 'Grid_MegaExample.py' into the workspace
      3. Then from menubar: Run/Debug As/Python Run
      4. The grid demo starts
      5. Click "Show the MegaGrid"
      6. select the first column "Row"
      7. Open context menu on column header: "Sort Column"
      -->Crash

• Fabio Zadrozny

Nice ;-)