Menu

De-obfuscate NPE message

Help
Alex Islan
2015-07-27
2015-07-28
  • Alex Islan

Alex Islan - 2015-07-27

We are using the stock android sdk proguard (version 4.7). Just wondering, if there is any regex that can de-obfuscate an NPE message like this -

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'com.grameenphone.eas.service.i com.grameenphone.message.provider.d.cE(android.content.Context)' on a null object reference

If I have to process just this line only, separately, that is fine with me. I'm having hard time coming up with a regex that will work for this line.

I understand this is just a message and it's not in the way of using the stack trace, but I'm trying to go a step farther.

Thanks a lot for your help.

• Eric Lafortune

Eric Lafortune - 2015-07-28

It seems like all the necessary information is present, so it should be possible. You could try a regular expression like

.*'%c\.%m(%a)'.*

It should match the class name, the method name, and the method arguments. I haven't tested it though. You'll probably have to escape some characters when you pass the expression on the command line. In a next step, you can then combine this expression with the expressions for other lines in the stack trace:

(.....)|(.....)|(.....)