Menu

postfixadmin with sympa

kunricsi
2014-03-05
2014-03-06
  • kunricsi

kunricsi - 2014-03-05

Hi,

I tried to use sympa with postfixadmin. The mailing list addresses would lists.maindomain.com, and the aliases would be in the /etc/aliases file.

I created a list, and sent a mail to it. First I got "mail for lists.maindomain.com loops back to myself". Then I added lists.maindomain.com as domain in postfixadmin, and I got: "Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table".
    There isn't any user, I supposed the mail goes to the sympa, based on aliases file.

In main.cf i have this:
    virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf

Anyone have any suggestion to made it work? thanks!

• Simon Hobson

Simon Hobson - 2014-03-05

Sympa is a mailing list manager ?
    You need to configure a relay domain for Postfix so that all mail for ${something}.mydomain.domain.tld (in your case, lists.maindomain.com) is relayed out to another mail service - even if that mail service is running on the same host.

As shipped/according to standard setup, this isn't supported by PFA. But with a bit of tweaking, it's not hard to make it configurable via PFA - I wrote an article for the Wiki but IIRC it never got added to the index.
    Ah, here it is :
    https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/postfixadmin/index.php?title=Relay_Domains

• kunricsi

kunricsi - 2014-03-05

Sympa is a mailing list manager, but not a mail service. It works with any MTA, with passing mails via a pipe. One example line from /etc/aliases:

developers: "| /usr/lib/sympa/bin/queue developers@lists.maindomain.com"

and sympa gets the mail.
    As described above, postfix configured to working with mysql-based postfixadmin, and it seems like don't using the aliases file.

You think, setting any relay_domains helps in this situation?

• Simon Hobson

Simon Hobson - 2014-03-05

Dunno, it's well outside my experience.
    However after a quick look, it may be worth you reading http://www.sympa.org/manual/mail-aliases , in particular the section Virtual domains

• Rhys McWilliams

Rhys McWilliams - 2014-03-06

I use MailMan as a list manager and have it working through PFA
    I have a lists.maindomain.com in the "mydestination = " string in my main.cf and
    "lists.maindomain.com mailman:" line in my transport file for postfix and then in PFA I setup aliases as
    news.maindomain.com -> news@lists.maindomain.com
    Not sure if this structure will help with sympa though...

• Simon Hobson

Simon Hobson - 2014-03-06

Yes, mailman is a doddle to set up - I have it running at work as well. Sympa appears to be different though - mail is delivered though local processes rather than an SMTP connection like Mailman.

I do wonder if just putting "|/home/sympa/bin/queue mylist@my.domain.org" etc in aliases via PFA would do the trick - but I've just checked and it won't allow it as it's not a valid email address. You'd have to manually edit the alias table (PHPMyAdmin is good for this) to try.

• Christian Boltz

Christian Boltz - 2014-03-06

Postfix doesn't allow pipes in a SQL database for security reasons - you'll need a text-based file for them.

That said - I'm using mailman with pipe aliases since years and it works without problems. You only need to add your lists.example.com in mydestination. No transport map entry needed.

• kunricsi

kunricsi - 2014-03-06

Hi all,

I found a solution, based on sympa docs:
    http://www.sympa.org/faq/postfix_howto

I had to setup 2 new transport methods, and 2 new transport rule, and it works! Thanks for your tips!