Menu

Keep / edit vacation message?

Charles
2008-01-08
2013-01-23
  • Charles

Charles - 2008-01-08

Hi,

I'm currently still on 2.1 and am excited about the impending 2.2 repelase - its been a long time coming! It sounds like there's lots of 'good stuff' in it...

My question has to do with the vacation message...

Has it been considered to store the vacation message in such a way that when the user goes on vacation and enables their message, that it remembers the last message they used, so they only have to edit it? OIr so if they enable it, then realize they had a typo in it, they can simply edit the current one, rather than having to disable it, then re-enable it, then re-enter it from scratch?

I sure hope that this is planned functionality, because it is really the *only* thing about postfixadmin that I didn't like...

:)

Thanks for a great piece of code!

Charles

• Christian Boltz

Christian Boltz - 2008-01-09

> Has it been considered to store the vacation message in such a way that when the user goes on vacation and enables their message, that it remembers the last message they used, so they only have to edit it?

Interesting idea. I opened a feature request for it, so it won't be forgotton. https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1867959&group_id=191583&atid=937967

However, I can't promise if we do it for the 2.2 release.

> OIr so if they enable it, then realize they had a typo in it, they can simply edit the current one, rather than having to disable it, then re-enable it, then re-enter it from scratch?

Editing the vacation message is possible in 2.2rc2 and the SVN version already.

• Charles

Charles - 2008-01-10

> Interesting idea. I opened a feature request for it, so it won't be forgotton.
        > https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1867959&group_id=191583&atid=937967

> However, I can't promise if we do it for the 2.2 release.

No promises required... ;) It is enough that you liked the idea enough to add it as a FR. Of course I'd love to see this make it into 2.2, especially since 2.2 has been such a long time coming, and it may be more years before an official update with this Feature is released. See below for an additional comment...

>> Or so if they enable it, then realize they had a typo in it, they can simply
        >> edit the current one, rather than having to disable it, then re-enable it,
        >> then re-enter it from scratch? 

> Editing the vacation message is possible in 2.2rc2 and the SVN version already.

Oh! Cool... :)

Since the code is already there to allow saving AND editing an existing one (which 2.1 is not capable of), wouldn't it be relatively simple to just keep the signature permanently, and when it is enabled, just present the last one for editing?

I hope you will seriously consider the time/coding efforts required, and just extend the release date for 2.2 until this is finished, unless it actually is much harder than I just described.

And if I were a programmer, I would not hesitate in the slightest to do this myself, but alas I am not.

Thanks for listening!

• Christian Boltz

Christian Boltz - 2008-01-13

The problem is not really to modify edit-vacation.php and users/vacation.php. The main problem is to check if there are any side effects (for example vacation status in list-virtual.php). And the release date for 2.2 was extended too often already...

That said: If someone (not necessarily you) submits a patch in time _and_ has checked for possible side effects, I will probably include it ;-)

• GingerDog

GingerDog - 2008-01-14

Hi,
      I've modified edit-vacation.php to what I think is needed; I've checked vacation.pl and it always checks that the record is active. So there should be no problems there.

See :
      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1870907&group_id=191583&atid=937966

(I hope)

thanks
      David.

• Charles

Charles - 2008-01-14

Thanks David!!

• GingerDog

GingerDog - 2008-01-14

If someone could let me know whether it works as 'advertised' I can then merge it into trunk, or somehow fix it...

• Charles

Charles - 2008-01-22

Well, it seems to work for me, but I do have a fairly simple setup (using virtual domains, but only one in use)... yay! Thanks David!

• Charles

Charles - 2008-01-29

Anyone else tested this? Especially in multi-domain environment?

It seems to be working fine for me here... and I'd sure like to see this support added permanently to the code base...

Thanks again to GingerDog for getting this done!

• GingerDog

GingerDog - 2008-02-28

it is permanently added now, do not fret :)

• Charles

Charles - 2008-02-28

This is so cool... thanks so much GingerDog!