Menu

12.04LTS release of Pubuntu?

Help
John Cowan
2012-10-17
2017-12-05
  • John Cowan

John Cowan - 2012-10-17

Can someone with the necessary skills perform a 12.04.1 LTS (Precise Pangolin) release of Pubuntu?  This can be stripped down as V4 (Lucid) was.

I have no problem installing and upgrading programs as I need them, but I don't feel comfortable trying to do a cross-version upgrade with standard Ubuntu facilities, as I'm not sure the 2.6.33.7-co-0.7.9 kernel will work properly with Pangolin.

If nobody feels up to preparing a dot-exe, a safe step-by-step upgrade procedure would be fine too.

• chrusart

chrusart - 2012-10-18

Will try it on weekend, also want to have 12.04, i have already tried andlinux update from 9.04 but only to 10.04, to 12.04 without success. After success will post steps.

• John Cowan

John Cowan - 2012-10-18

Thanks!  Looking forward to it.

• John Cowan

John Cowan - 2012-11-07

Ping?

• chrusart

chrusart - 2012-11-08

Sorry, I could only ugrade to 10.04 with (almost) standard upgrading, upgrading from 10.04 to 12.04 put me into not bootable state. Have to leave it for now, other responsibilities.

• Seon Simmons

Seon Simmons - 2017-11-26

Would be selfish of me not to share, but it is still a work in progress.
    Samsung ATIV 32 bit Windows Tablet UEFI boot if that matters. I am quite new to ubuntu.
    Prerequisits
    toperesize application for windows https://www.pendrivelinux.com/how-to-resize-casper-rw-images/
    Good to have ram .I only had 2G on my Samsung ATIV 500T windows tablet 32 bit ONLY windows 10

Extract the zip file (I chose c:)
    use toperesize and open the bat file this launches the program
    select find file and select your rootfs located in the images folder of the extracted Portable Ubuntu
    ie.(C:\Portable_Ubuntu_V4_slim2\images) Adjust the file in your NTFS drive to above 10G or more
    You can adjust the portable ubuntu config file for more RAM and adding another disk drive etc.
    Launch the .exe file and open the tray by clicking on the small icon in the task bar. (we will be using this alot after upgrading )
    Once the program is up, open applications > accessories > terminal
    sudo resize2fs /dev/cobd0 this is default root and will adjust the filesystem size for the upgrades.
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/source.list [enter]
    change the http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu to http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu [save and exit]
    System > Administration > Software Sources open and select other and remove mozilla at the bottom [close ]
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get upgrade -f
    This starts the upgrade {may take a while}
    after the upgrade ....
    sudo apt-get autoremove [yes] or [y]
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/source.list [enter]
    change the http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid "whatever" to http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu maverick
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get upgrade -f
    This starts the upgrade {may take a while}
    after the upgrade ....
    sudo apt-get autoremove [yes] or [y] "see the pattern ???"
    Repeat and Rense changing the sources.list to reflect the next upgrade

I got to "natty" and then came the errors UGH!!
    I forgot how I got past natty but I am currently on my way to "Precise " upgrading now.

• Seon Simmons

Seon Simmons - 2017-11-29

UPDATE : baby steps OMG! This has been the hardest installation and upgrades ever! I've got more errors than the 78' Huston Astros lol.
    DPKG errors all over the place and careful with the forums read before implementing. End result I am now at Ubuntu 14 Trusty and too scared to go further. lol My poor graphics card is so mad at me right now. The tty terminal located on the task bar will be your best friend through most of the process. I open it by clicking on the tray icon. I am still cleaning the rootfs.img. Good luck if you want to try :)

• bob_wh

bob_wh - 2017-11-30

Seon, since you mention that you have windows 10, you could save yourself some time by using the Linux subsystem build into windows 10 by microsoft. There are several utube videos on installing a X-windows desktop onto the linux subsystem (you can search for them in utube).

I would not expect much change to Pubuntu since it is based on "cooperative linux" and they never successfully migrated to 64 bit. I have seen no evidence of any development work on cooperative linux in the last couple of years.

-Bob W (originator of V4 of Pubuntu)

• Seon Simmons

Seon Simmons - 2017-12-01

Oh wow!! It is an honor to meet the creator of this amazing product! Thank you for your insite and yes, I have a device with the Microsoft Aniversary edition of Windows 10 with BASH. It's ok, but not as awesome as this.
    I have succesfully upgraded your pubuntu image to Ubuntu 16.04.3 on my Samsung Galaxy ATIV 500T 32Bit Windows. This tablet will not allow virtualization and the BIOS is UEFI. Your product was the game changer.
    If you do not mind, I would love to continue working on this and maybe figure a way to compile a migration with the dreaded 64 bit.

Respectfully,
                        Seon Simmons

• bob_wh

bob_wh - 2017-12-05

You misinterpreted what I said: orginator of version 4 only -- not Uno,Dos,Tres versions which Claudio released.

The creator of this project is Claudio Cesar Sanchez Tejeda [demonccc@gmail.com].
    You would need to contact him to get access to the project if you intend to release a production quality release to the users.

As for the 64 bit version, It will take more than just compilation. 64 bit windows drivers will have be written. Apparently, these is what has been taking so long for the Cooperative Linux Project to come out with a 64 bit version. They may not see a need for it since the newer 64 bit machines have enough power to run virtualbox, vmware, etc. virtualization solutions with reasonable performance.

regards,
    Bob Wheater