Menu

New release of the Eclipse plugin

2004-04-06
2012-10-07
  • Philippe Herlin

Philippe Herlin - 2004-04-06

Hi to all
    After this long period of inactivity, the plugin for Eclipse is coming back... ;-) (I really apologize for this too long period...)

I've just published a release candidate 4 for the plugin. It includes the latest version of PMD (v1.6).
    But it works only for Eclipse v2.1.3 (package pmd-eclipse2-site-2.0RC4.zip).

I'm facing more difficulties to adapt the plugin to Eclipse v3M8. So users of Eclipse v3 please be patient, Eclipse v3 brings so much new features and architecture changes that it's very difficult to migrate the plugins.

Also for users of WSAD v5.0: this version of WSAD is based on Eclipse v2.0. The plugin is using APIs that do not exists on that version of Eclipse. So please migrate WSAD to v5.1.x or use an older version of the plugin.

Enjoy
    Philippe.

• Tom Copeland

Tom Copeland - 2004-04-06

Cool, sounds good Philippe!

Tom

• Philippe Herlin

Philippe Herlin - 2004-04-20

Hi all !
      Good news. Finally, I've managed to adapt the plugin to Eclipse v3M8. It has just been released as pmd-eclipse3M8-site-2.0RC4.zip package and of course contains PMD v1.6.

Note that it will only work on Eclipse v3M8. Previous M versions are no more supported and it may not work with future M versions.

Enjoy
      Philippe.

• Tom Copeland

Tom Copeland - 2004-04-20

Great!  I've taken the liberty of closing a couple of the M4/5/6/7 bugs....

Yours,

Tom

• Garth Dahlstrom

Garth Dahlstrom - 2004-04-25

I followed the set-up in setup_readme.txt...

The plugin appears to partially install.  The PMD welcome screen comes up, the hooks to the project, PMD views, filters, & the preferences are all there.  The link to documentation gives errors and the

Ruleset seems to be broken, here's the info:

Under Eclipse3.0M8 200403261517

Window -> Preferences -> PMD -> Rules configuration
      gives:

Could Not Accept Changes
      (X) The currently displayed page contains invalid values

The "Rules configuration" Panel shows only the label "PMD RuleSet Configuration Options" but there are no actual controls shown below that...

Here is the exception

Error Apr 24, 2004 23:38:30.553 Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.core.runtime".
      java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/sourceforge/pmd/RuleSetFactory
      at net.sourceforge.pmd.eclipse.PMDPlugin.getRuleSetFromStateLocation(PMDPlugin.java:437)
      at net.sourceforge.pmd.eclipse.PMDPlugin.getRuleSet(PMDPlugin.java:263)
      at net.sourceforge.pmd.eclipse.preferences.PMDPreferencePage.populateRuleTable(PMDPreferencePage.java:591)
      at net.sourceforge.pmd.eclipse.preferences.PMDPreferencePage.buildRuleTableViewer(PMDPreferencePage.java:322)
      at net.sourceforge.pmd.eclipse.preferences.PMDPreferencePage.layoutControls(PMDPreferencePage.java:156)
      at net.sourceforge.pmd.eclipse.preferences.PMDPreferencePage.createContents(PMDPreferencePage.java:145)
      at org.eclipse.jface.preference.PreferencePage.createControl(PreferencePage.java:217)
      at org.eclipse.jface.preference.PreferenceDialog$12.run(PreferenceDialog.java:1011)
      at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:610)
      at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:521)
      at org.eclipse.jface.preference.PreferenceDialog.showPage(PreferenceDialog.java:1006)
      at org.eclipse.jface.preference.PreferenceDialog$9.selectionChanged(PreferenceDialog.java:570)
      at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$3.run(StructuredViewer.java:431)
      at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:610)
      at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:521)
      at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.firePostSelectionChanged(StructuredViewer.java:429)
      at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.handlePostSelect(StructuredViewer.java:680)
      at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$5.widgetSelected(StructuredViewer.java:698)
      at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.firePostSelectionEvent(OpenStrategy.java:198)
      at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$4(OpenStrategy.java:193)
      at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$3.run(OpenStrategy.java:334)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:106)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:2555)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2260)
      at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:670)
      at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:650)
      at org.eclipse.ui.internal.OpenPreferencesAction.run(OpenPreferencesAction.java:72)
      at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:881)
      at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:550)
      at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:502)
      at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:435)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:82)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:769)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2578)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2256)
      at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1562)
      at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1536)
      at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:257)
      at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:139)
      at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:90)
      at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:277)
      at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:239)
      at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:117)
      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:267)
      at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:692)
      at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:676)

Any thoughts on how to fix this?  Do I need to put a ruleset file somewhere?  do I need to unjar net.sourceforge.pmd.eclipse_2.0.3.v3.jar and net.sourceforge.pmd.core_1.6.0.jar in the plugins dir (I've never seen a plugin installed as a Jar before)? 

Cheers,

-G

• Garth Dahlstrom

Garth Dahlstrom - 2004-04-25

looks like I just needed to extract the Jar files manually... perhaps there's something amiss with the Site Archive install thing...

• Philippe Herlin

Philippe Herlin - 2004-04-27

Hi!
        Humm!, when I test on my computer it works well...

Maybe an error occurred during the install process you didn't saw or wasn't displayed. You may watch the error log to check that.

Also instead of selecting the zip file, you may unzip the package into a temp directory and select this directory during the install process.

Please tell me if you find something in your error log.

Regards.
        Philippe.