Cant get client compression header to kick in

Help
pvestado
2006-12-15
2013-04-29
  • pvestado

pvestado - 2006-12-15

Hi,

I'm trying to test out the filter; it's configured to enable the stats. I know it kicks in, since i'm able to debug it (code, not logging), but it looks like it doesn't receive the right type of header value (Accept-Encoding, i believe) from the client.

I'm trying different browsers (IE7, Opera 9.02, FireFox 1.5.0.8, on WinXP Pro SP2), but none of them seem to cause the filter to recognize compression support.

I can see that there's an option to force compression, but from the code looks like the only way to force it is before the servlet is even hit, so there's no way i can do it from inside my servlet code.

What is the usual troubleshooting path with trying to see why none of the browsers would pass the right header? I'm trying it locally, through localhost, through my IP, through machine name, etc. (I thought maybe it matters whether it's remote or local).

Appreciate any suggestions,
    -P

PS
    Great piece of code though - thanks for making it available!

• Sean Owen

Sean Owen - 2009-04-25

Very late in answering questions here -

Try the LiveHTTPHeaders addon in Firefox to watch request headers. Yes the client needs to send Accept-Encoding -- FF sure does should. That is the first thing.  If they aren't sending the header... you would have to ask the browser author why! Should just happen.