Menu

Ctrl+Tab behavior

Hari Dara
2008-02-27
2013-01-14
  • Hari Dara

Hari Dara - 2008-02-27

I would like to know if there is a way to configure such that Ctrl+Tab always switches to the next tab and Shift+Ctrl+Tab always switches to the previous tab in the conversations window. Currently they switch to the next tab that have an update and I often use Ctrl+Tab with the intention of switching to the next tab and start typing and then realize that I am in a wrong tab. I recently ended up getting embarrassed when I actually sent the message to a wrong person without noticing that I was in a wrong tab. In all the applications with tabs support that I am used to so far, they have consistent behavior so it is hard for me to remember that pidgin behaves differently.

• Etan Reisner

Etan Reisner - 2008-02-27

No, there is no way to configure what ctrl-tab and shift-ctrl-tab do (short of editing the code) but that's ok because ctrl-tab and shift-ctrl-tab aren't meant to cycle forwards and backwards, ctrl-pageup, ctrl-pagedown, ctrl-[, and ctrl-] are meant to cycle. (Ctrl-, and ctrl-. are meant to reorder tabs in the window, in case that is useful information as well.)

• Hari Dara

Hari Dara - 2008-02-27

Thanks, I will just try to get used to the Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDown keys.

• Etan Reisner

Oh, there are also of course the alt-# bindings to go to tabs by their index (though many/most linux window managers grab those so they are of less frequent use, plus they require counting).

• luminous lemon

luminous lemon - 2008-02-27

just curious why it was programmed that way? why go against standards that are present in almost all other applications?

also... why then make it a gesture you simply cannot achieve from the normal typing position? was there some reason you couldn't use ctrl-tab (gtk perhaps)?

• Etan Reisner

I have no idea why it was decided to work this way, I just know that it was, I also know that I don't think it matters much, especially considering that ctrl-tab does cycle when no tabs have pending messages. And as to why the cycle bindings weren't made hittable from the normal typing position, the answer is that there are only so many such key combinations most of them used already.