Menu

Backwards compatibility from <2.35

Adam Wood
2005-03-12
2013-04-22
  • Adam Wood

Adam Wood - 2005-03-12

I've recently installed gaim 1.1.4 with gaim-encryption 2.35 and can no longer communicated with encryption to uses with earlier versions. Was this breakage required or is this an unknown issue?

• Jared B.

Jared B. - 2005-04-09

This breakage actually occured with the 2.33 release.  For whatever reason >=2.33 is not compatible with <=2.32.  There was no announcement about it, so it took me a little bit to figure out what the problem was.  I believe it had been asked about on this forum already, but I don't recall seeing an answer as to why it occured.

• Adam Wood

Adam Wood - 2005-04-09

Does anyone know if there are any plans to fix this breakage?

I only noticed it when I upgraded to 1.1.4 from 1.1.3 -- I assumed it was from 2.35.

• Bill Tompkins

Bill Tompkins - 2005-04-10

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  What protocol (AIM/MSN/Jabber/...) are you guys using?  Jabber definitely had breakage about then, as one of the Gaim releases had a bug preventing the plugin from working with Jabber, and a protocol change was needed to work around that.

Thanks,

-Bill

• Adam Wood

Adam Wood - 2005-04-10

I am using Jabber. Are there any plans on adding support for the previous versions?

• Bill Tompkins

Bill Tompkins - 2005-04-14

Unfortunately, there's a fundamental problem: Gaim broke the way the plugin was working, so I changed the plugin protocol (on Jabber) to work around the problem.  This new protocol was necessarily incompatible with the old one.  Now (hopefully) the old protocol will work again (with the latest release of Gaim).  If I change the protocol back, then the newest release will be compatible with older releases, but not with the past few releases.  .  It also runs the risk of being broken again if Gaim's HTML mangling of Jabber messages changes again- it has done so in the past a few times.

Is there a particular user community out there using a certain version of Gaim/Gaim-Encryption that you want the plugin to maintain compatibility with?

-Bill

• Adam Wood

Adam Wood - 2005-04-14

Preferably pre 1.1.4/2.35 for Jabber :) I think there are a lot of users who don't update their gaim, so maintaining backwards compatibility is important. I don't mean to suggest that we should cater to them, but when possible I think it would be beneficial.

• hjheins

hjheins - 2005-04-14

I think this is an important issue!
      I have been fiddling with gaim-encryption for a long time before I discovered that it was a backwards compatability problem.

Could you please make a note of this issue in the FAQ, Changelog/Readme?
      I think that at least helps people understand what happened.

Thank you.