Menu

Transferring metadata to EXIF?

PL212
2009-06-11
2012-12-08
  • PL212

PL212 - 2009-06-11

HI there, just wanted to say this a fantastic tool for all of us who are dealing with the problem of legacy PhotoCD files.  One idea for a feature: transferring the metadata within the PhotoCD file into the equivalent parts of the EXIF metadata header in jpeg.   Jhead (http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/) might be useful in this context...

• Sandy McGuffog

Sandy McGuffog - 2009-06-11

Glad to hear pcdtojpeg is helping you!

Both EXIF data and the ability to write TIFFs (the other request I've got) were things I thought about for the initial release, but decided against, largely on the basis of "release soon, release often".

What I'll probably be doing is to take a look at how popular pcdtojpeg becomes, and then take a decision on what functionality to add. One thing that factors into that however is that none of the PCD metadata other than the date digitized really has a natural home in the standard EXIf fields, so the likelihood is that even if I wrote them into comments fields, they wouldn't ever be seen as most software only displays the "core" EXIF data.

The option for EXIF, btw, is libexif, which has the advantage of already being in most linux distributions.

Sandy

• PL212

PL212 - 2009-06-13

Thanks for the response! It is indeed an interesting question of what EXIF on a scanned film image should report -- the original camera which created the image, or the scanner which captured it?

Having the PhotoCD scanner reported in EXIF could be useful in tools like Lightroom, which allow you to perform selections based on metadata attributes. Selecting all the PhotoCD images in order to apply a specific color balance setting, etc.

The other thing that could be done is tagging the images with the SRGB color space in EXIF...

Good luck with future development!