Menu

Element-name position (reference)

Help
2006-10-29
2013-05-29
  • Frederic Mauron

Frederic Mauron - 2006-10-29

Hi again!

When creating an element by drawing vias and lines and then converting them to an element, is there a way to define the position of the element-name? By default, the element-name seems to be positioned up left (and pretty far away) from the element itself. When I define the name of the element, and then when I move this name, I can see a sort of "anchor" in the shape of a diamond which seems to be the default name position. But I found no way to move or define this position...

For example, if I would like to draw a resistor and place the name's default position in the middle of the resistor square, how can I do that?

Thanks a lot
    Fred

• DJ Delorie

DJ Delorie - 2006-10-29

The diamond is the "mark" and it's where your cursor was when you originally cut/copied the element into the paste buffer.  It's the "origin" for the part.  I generally put the mark in the center.  The Mark is snapped to grid locations when you paste the part, so keep that in mind.  I keep the grid on when making elements so that the mark and the pads are always on the same grid.

There's no other way to affect the location of the name; what I do is have the description be displayed instead of the name, and fill it in after converting the lines to the element.  That serves two purposes: describing the part, and letting you move the default name location.

• Frederic Mauron

Frederic Mauron - 2006-10-29

Wow! That's what I call fast and excellent answers!! Thanks a lot for your help.

cheers
      Fred