Menu

Failed colour depth detection on treo 270?

Help
urbanwolf
2005-06-11
2013-04-25
  • urbanwolf

urbanwolf - 2005-06-11

I'm using a treo 270 (256 colours) running (I think) palmos 3.5H5, and Padict seems to be detecting my pda as black and white, as I can't see any colours or shades being used, and PocketKanji feedback seems to be disabled. Is this a problem with me, or a known issue? Should I post this in the bugs section?

• Lars Grunewaldt

Lars Grunewaldt - 2005-06-12

right now, we accept the "current setting" of the PDA, and on some older machines (i.e. my PalmVx that supports gray-scale) the default is b&w. We will add proper detection & switching to color/grayscale mode. To make sure you get it, please submit a bug report :)

• Nell

Nell - 2005-12-05

I have the same problem in a Palm IIIc, PalmOS 3.5.0.

Should I submit another bug report? Sorry, I'm not sure of the etiquette here :)

• Lars Grunewaldt

Lars Grunewaldt - 2005-12-05

well, as no bug report seems to have been submitted yet, you might very well submit one :)

In any case this is a known problem and I think there's a workaround for this, by using a small tool that switches the color depth from default b&w to colors. Can't remember the name though. Maybe someone else will help out?

If you submit a bug report, it will most definitly be fixed in the upcoming version.

• Lars Grunewaldt

sorry, me again :)

I just found the bug (the name was different to what I expected), so please don't file a new bug.

best regards,
          Lars

• Nell

Nell - 2005-12-05

I won't submit the bug then.

If you remember the name of the app you mention, I'd appreciate it if you posted it here.

Thanks!

• Lars Grunewaldt

After digging a little bit (believe me, Spotlight is one of the greatest features ever. Just get a Mac and enjoy ;)) I found this post. I don't know if this helps for colored devices, too, but it might be worth a try:

Read and respond to this message at:
            https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3214123
            By: pappaman

Ah, maybe you already know this: monochrome Palms must be hacked to switch to
            greyscale, since they default to 1bpp.
            I use Toggle, a small sw found here:
            http://www.ardiri.com/index.php?redir=palm&cat=toggle

After toggling to 2 or 4 bpp, standard and many other apps change their look
            surprisingly.

I hope this may help you.

ganbatte kudasai, Lars ;-)

• Nell

Nell - 2005-12-05

domo arigatou!!

Mac user here too :) My google-fu failed, though. Thanks for the help!

• Lars Grunewaldt

Lars Grunewaldt - 2005-12-06

does it work, than? If it does, I would post a note on the website.

• Nell

Nell - 2005-12-06

In my case it didn't work :( The toggle app works fine, but there was no change in PADict.