Menu

Ovaldi: Couldn't create DB iterator

Help
2011-12-14
2013-06-12
  • Display nameRedBaron

Hi,
    I installed ovaldi 5.10 from the RPM (EL5) on my machine. The install went fine and ovaldi 'appeared' to work fine. However on examining the generated system characteristics file I noticed a lot of errors in object collection. The associated message with each error was
    "Couldn't create Database iterator"

Also when scanning with a very large OVAl def file (like com.redhat-rhsa-all.xml) I begin to get errors
    rpmdb:Lock table is out of available entries
    rpmdb: Unknown locker id:xxxxx
    error: db4 error(22)
    error: cannot open package index using db3, cannot allocate memory

I googled the error it tells me to delete __db.00* entries in /var/lib/rpm and then rebuild the db. This is precisely what I did. However after that I have been getting the iterator error shown above

• Michael Chisholm

We've had a report of issues relating to the RPM database before.  It was not a bug in ovaldi, but a configuration issue on the host system; unfortunately I don't definitively know what that issue turned out to be.  But here is a question: could your RPM database have been built with a different version of the RPM libraries than ovaldi is linked to?  Have you patched your system to upgrade the version of RPM recently?

Andy

• Display nameRedBaron

Well the system was 64-bit so I had 64-it RPMs installed on it. To install ovaldi I had to install corresponding 32 bit RPMs on the system. Other than that, no upgrading of packages has been done.

• Sandeep Rathan

Sandeep Rathan - 2011-12-27

Facing similar problem, especially when "not equal" condition is executed with RPMInfo_test

<object flag="error" id="oval:org.mitre.oval.test:obj:236" version="1">
          <oval-sc:message level="fatal">Error running rpm query in child process: rpmdb: Lock table is out of available locker entries
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Cannot allocate memory (12)
    error: cannot open Packages database in
    rpmdb: Lock table is out of available locker entries
    error: cannot open Packages database in
    </oval-sc:message>
        </object>

It will not be possible to run RPMInfo_tests once i get this error. same error will be returned even for "equal" condidtion.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.