2007-06-19
2013-04-15
  • joy

joy - 2007-06-19

Hi,

I am new to ORTS, don't know if I am right to run it:

0. my platform is PC Win32, graphics card is Geforce 7800, RAM is 2GB

1. I downloaded the daily snapshot

2. open orts-project.sln with vs2005.net and built orts and ortsg successfully.

3. double click orts.exe

4. dboule click ortsg.exe

5. with several minutes, a window 'ORTS GL Client' appears with FPS only less than 1FPS

what is wrong with my steps?

thanks

• Johan

Johan - 2007-06-19

I have about 3-4 FPS on my laptop with the same RAM and a not so powerful graphics card as a 7800. It might be due to some Glew issues. Try to upgrade the Glew package in ORTS (located in the win32 zip) to a newer version, otherwise I don't know what's wrong. I use Glew 1.3.6. Can be downloaded at http://glew.sourceforge.net/.

There are however some strange issues with the 3D GUI on Windows. On Ubuntu at the same laptop I have much higher framerate, and on Windows the terrain textures are cut in half (diagonally) with one half correct texture and one half just black. I haven't got an answer from the developers why this happens.

• joy

joy - 2007-06-20

I tried the latest glew(1.14.0), there is no difference.

My machine is definitely fast enough so I am wondering how others work with such low FPS? en, probabaly, as you said, the FPS is good on other platforms...

and, I noticed you replied to others about VSTOOL,

have you tried VSTOOL to generate other apps except orts and ortsg?

I tried app.dcdtpath, but, there are millions of errors!

thanks.

• John Fragoulis

John Fragoulis - 2008-07-26

no answer to this for over a year? is the project alive?
      I have a 8600m, intel core duo and 2gigs of ram and the game runs at 1fps.

• David 'Mokon' Bond

My guess is this it not the problem but make sure you are not running the debugging version. The debugging version adds a lot of overhead.

• P L

P L - 2008-07-30

I have successfully compiled the daily snapshot for today in WinXP using VC 8 and the files in win32.zip. I am also experiencing the exact same problem. The fps is less than 3 and the screen does not refresh itself. The only way to refresh the screen is to resize or minimize it.

• Michael Buro

Michael Buro - 2008-07-30

The issue has been resolved. Low fps is caused by using debug libraries.
        A new windows ORTS installer that also contains information on this will
        be released soon.

• ffxiangyu

ffxiangyu - 2009-01-26

hi, Michael
      Has that new windows ORTS installer been released? If so, where can I found it?
      Because my ortsg is still running at less than 3fps

• awilson

awilson - 2009-06-26

Hello Michael,

I am also interested in having a windows ORTS installer.  It would be wonderful to get access to if it is available.

best wishes,

awilson

• chimairaCris

chimairaCris - 2009-11-02

Hi

Did this ever get sorted? because im experiencing the same problem but usually with an fps from 0.05 to 0.5. I got a AMD athlon64 X2 2.16 GHz, 2G ram, Ati Radeon X1950 Pro on XP 32bit. Thanks for any help.

• Tim

Tim - 2009-11-02

So I guess the installer hasn't been changed, but you can always manually make sure the release version isn't using the debug libraries.

• AMNO

AMNO - 2010-11-03

for me there is no difference between release and debug both have low fps ,
    video card: geforce 1gb  ,. i don't know the model

i don't think its because of hardware any way , then please update source code and third parties if that helps.