Software Distribution. Win-Get

Manager
idar
2007-10-29
2013-05-02
  • idar

idar - 2007-10-29

Hi,
    i have setup all the parts server,manager and agents. I can contact my workstations also. I have never used win-get before. Can anyone be helpful to tell hoe to distribut softwares. I have uploaded acrobat in the upload directory under xamp. I can see it while browsing it through I.E.
    but when i create the pachkage in the manager gui do i have to use URL or Upload File. i have tried both URL fails and upload directory doesnt work either. I know i am doing something wrong. Can someone explian me in simple steps for both options how to acieve that.
    Secondly how can i add computers to Pc groups. I have created a group but i cant see and pc in Pc list.....
    And  the last thing how do i go about jobs or scheduling jobs.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

• kalohr

kalohr - 2007-10-29

In order to deliver software you will have to create a software package and then a job that will deliver it to any station. Finally you will associate the job with the stations (drag and drop) and the software will be delivered

In more detail, you will have to follow these steps:
      1) create a package by double clicking in the packages node on the tree resting at the left pine, or by clicking the packages icon from the tool bar, or from the menus
      2) use the package creation form to upload your package on the server and thus create a managemable package for the software you want to deliver
      3) then you will have to create a new job. Use the job creation form from the menus or the toolbar. Create a software delivery job. It can be either an install/unistall, silent or not. Choose whatever appropriate
      4) Check the job in the tree of entities (jobs, machines, groups, packages) and the machines you want it to run to.
      5) press the run button from the menu bar

I hope this helps

Kalohr

• idar

idar - 2007-10-29

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I ran my package it says under Server report executeok, but delivery step failed.
      I have uploaded winrar3.6 to the upload directory manually and then in the software package form i type in the Apllication name,version executable....In the location i type http://machi_name/uploads/winrar
      Now am i doing something wrong. Because before that i tried to use Upload file and then from browse windows i browsed onto one netwrok location where winrar was located. but it always said file deleteion problem on server somthing. Once it started doing 7zip stuff but failed at the end.

Any clue?

• kalohr

kalohr - 2007-10-30

Did you save your package. You sure uploaded the software, but you did not create the package. You save it using the 'save' button in the package creation form.

You need to create a package using the interface of the application. Unfortunately it cannot be created manually because it must be registered within the system. After successful creation of a package, it will appear in the tree, under the packages node.

To sum up the steps for s/w package creation

(1)After you open the package creation page, you give the name of the package, the version, etc and then specify the software this package concerns. You can choose from software that is already registered or new software. You may also provide switches for silent installation.

(2) Then you upload the software on the server. Note that this step only uploads the software on the server. It does not create the software package.

(3) The package is created after you press 'save'

(4) You should now be able to see your package under the packages node on the tree

Kalohr

• kalohr

kalohr - 2007-10-30

after creating the software package you must create a delivery job

this shall be a custom job. You must open the job creation forms, and create a delivery job. It internally uses win-get, so you do not have to know anything about it. After you have created the job you will have to check it on the tree. You will then check the stations it will run on.

To create the pc groups, open the group creation form. Give your group a name. Then check the desired pcs on the tree and add then in the new group by pressing the 'add' button. Then save your group. It will be displayed within the tree under the pc groups node.

I hope that the above will help you

Kalohr

• idar

idar - 2007-10-30

Hey Kalohr,

Thanks mate. I have got it working. Had to reninstall the server and then it worked fine.

Imran