Menu

Some questions

Giannis
2007-08-09
2013-05-28
  • Giannis

Giannis - 2007-08-09

Hi all,

I recently downloaded a copy of researchcyc and opencyc and there seems to be a problem with the API in both systems. I tried the standard 3601 Tcp port through a standard Telnet application as well as the AIMLPad but it fails to connect (“Socket error Connect()failed”) . I also tried the Java API through my development platform (Adobe Director) but although i can access ALL classes of the API and their methods, Director fails to access the most importnat class (the org.opencyc.api.CycAccess). Any idea what's going on? Can this be a recent update from Microsoft that causes this problem? Should I perhaps forget Research Cyc and opencyc for windows and try the Linix version?

Many thanks for any replies

• Justin

Justin - 2007-08-09

I have never been able to successfully connect to ResearchCyc using the Java API with ResearchCyc running in either Windows or Linux with a Java client running in Windows.  In the OpenCyc case, I have been able to connect to OpenCyc running in Linux but not in Windows.  This has been a bit of a frustration, since ResearchCyc is more complete in certain ways.

• Giannis

Giannis - 2007-08-09

Thanks for your reply... The API seems to have so many classes and methods but there is not sufficient documentation what they actually do... Also there are no examples on the Internet that actually use them... Then the Telnet port fails to connect in most cases (something that i suspect has to do with Windows XP). So... what we actually have is an excellent KB but with no way to connect to it... Too bad becuase I belive in the potnetials of CYC technology but i will have to abandon my attemts becuase of these problems...