Menu

how to customize USMarc Fields to allow for Lexile measure

2015-10-10
2015-10-11
  • Gary Grosso

Gary Grosso - 2015-10-10

Sorry to have submitted this anonymously; hopefully the moderator will toss that copy.

I'm exploring OpenBiblio for a school, and have it successfully installed. They have a requirement to catalog Lexile measures. I see it done http://www.district106.net/html/openbiblio/shared/biblio_view.php?bibid=11245&tab=opac for example, so I know it can be done, but have not been able to find out how by google or intuition :-)

Grepping for some of these fields yields:

====> C:\xampp\htdocs\openbiblio\locale\en\sql\0.4.0\domain\usmarc_subfield_dm.sql <====
    insert into %prfx%usmarc_subfield_dm values (010,'a','LC control number','N');

====> C:\xampp\htdocs\openbiblio\locale\en\sql\0.5.2\domain\usmarc_subfield_dm.sql <====

====> C:\xampp\htdocs\openbiblio\locale\en\sql\0.6.0\domain\usmarc_subfield_dm.sql <====

====> C:\xampp\htdocs\openbiblio\locale\en\sql\0.7.0\domain\usmarc_subfield_dm.sql <====

====> C:\xampp\htdocs\openbiblio\locale\en\sql\0.7.1\domain\usmarc_subfield_dm.sql <====

Please tell me I don't have to modify all those!

Thanks,
    Gary

Last edit: Gary Grosso 2015-10-11
    • Hans van der Weij

Gary,

When lookin at the "I see it done" link, I get the impression they wrapped up some version of obiblio-10-wip in their CMS. I'm working on the "classic" 0.x.x branch (that you have installed - looking at the grep results). There are many differences betwoon these branches.

Anyway, for the issue with cataloging Lexile measures this does not matter. Looking around on the web I get the impression that there is an appropriate MARC tag: 521 - Target Audience Note.

Is the following example helpful?
      http://catalog.evergreen.lib.in.us/?p=360

When you add subfield b, as in the my linked example, the result will look a bit different than in "I see it done".