Menu

WiFi card problem

NST
2005-04-30
2012-12-05
  • GreatSeaSpider

GreatSeaSpider - 2005-04-30

or is it a user problem lol

anyway I'm using a linksys WPC54G V1.2 and i'd like to get it working so that i can use kismet.

i've used lpcmcia and the card has lit up,
    so i've used auto_config_net192 and it gives this output:

***ERROR*** no driver for: "Broadcom CorporationBCM94306 802.11g"

is there anything to be done?

cheers,

Pete

• Paul Blankenbaker

I have not tried the specific card you mention. My gut feeling is that its not going to work with the current version of the NST. However, here are some things to try:

1. Run "ifconfig -a" and see what network interfaces are listed.

2. Run "kudzu -p -s | less" and see if you see your card listed an any clues as to what driver is required.

Finding a wireless card that works well with Linux is pretty tough. You can check the NST FAQ for cards that are known to work/not work.

The 3 wireless G cards I've had good luck with (listed in the FAQ) are all based on the Atheros chip set and supported by the MADWIFI drivers.

I've been basing my decision on purchasing wireless cards based upon those supported by theMADWIFI project:

http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/

Paul

• GreatSeaSpider

GreatSeaSpider - 2005-05-01

Thanks for the reply,

I'll try to make as much sense as possible at this time of day, but since i'm a bit of a newbie....

I've found other people who have managed to get this card working on linux using ndiswrapper

[url]http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/List#WPC54G[/url]

I realise that in the FAQ it is stated that ndiswrapper v 0.11 does not work with NST, and that i would need to use a non-SMP NST linux kernel. Could somebody explain that a bit for this poor noob? :)

cheers,

Pete

• Paul Blankenbaker

We have two versions of the NST distribution. The SMP version is for systems with multiple CPUs and/or Intel CPUs which support hyper threading. The ISO name is in the form of:

nst-1.2.2smp.iso.gz

The non-SMP version is more "generic" and does not support multiple CPUs (it should still work on systems with multiple CPUs, but will only make use of a single CPU). This is the version you should use if you need to use the ndiswrapper modules. The ISO name is in the form:

nst-1.2.2.iso.gz

Unfortunately, I can't offer you a lot of advice on how to use the ndiswrapper modules as I've never used them myself. Most likely you will need google the internet for your card and look for instructions on what files are required to support your card. I imagine at a minimum you will need:

- To locate the unpackaged windows drivers for your wireless card.

- A file system to transfer these to your booted NST probe (a thumb drive for example).

- A configuration file to make use of them.

If you figure it out, and plan to make use of it in the future, I'd suggest learning some basic bash scripting and reading the users guide on the customizing your boot process. You should be able to create a custom setup on a thumb drive such that when you type:

lnstcustom ndis

It loads the necessary drivers and brings up kismet.

Good Luck,
        Paul

• GreatSeaSpider

GreatSeaSpider - 2005-05-03

Thanks for the advice, here's what i've managed now:

- stuck the windows drivers for the card onto a thumb drive and mounted it

- using the ndiswrapper.ko file i found in the nst iso ive added the driver and get the following output using ndiswrapper -l....

Installed ndis drivers:
      lsbcmnds          driver present, hardware present

which has got to be good!, note that if i remove the card, the hardware present bit disappears.

so next i do:

modprobe ndiswrapper

this goes fine but afterwards ifconfig -a still doesnt show the card??

any further ideas welcome :)

cheers,

Pete

• Paul Blankenbaker

Did you figure out how to get this working with ndiswrapper on the NST? I've never used it and would be curious to hear whether and how you managed to get it working.

Thanks,
        Paul

• GreatSeaSpider

GreatSeaSpider - 2005-05-06

Hi paul,

I'm still trying to figure it out, at the mo i've got ndiswrapper to detect the card, but when i run modprobe ndiswrapper it fails for some reason which i've not yet figured out.

I've been trying to get some support from the ndiswrapper guys and found them to be not so helpful so far :)

I'm going to try to get ndiswrapper running in palin old fedora to verify that the drivers i'm using are correct and to try to make some more sense of it.

do you have any theories as to why the modprobe command might be failing?? the nidswrapper site reccomends recompiling it with the -debug flag to get to the bottom of things, but i'm not sure how i'd go about tha with NST,

cheers,

Pete

• Paul Blankenbaker

Sorry, I don't have any advice to offer you - I was hoping to learn about using ndiswrapper from your experience.

Paul

• GreatSeaSpider

GreatSeaSpider - 2005-05-06

Fair enough!

I'll keep you posted on my progress, i dont like being beaten by software lol

Pete

• GreatSeaSpider

GreatSeaSpider - 2005-05-11

I've managed to get my card working on fedora using ndiswrapper, however to do this i had to install a 16k stack. I think the reason its not working with NST is probably due to this, so it may be possible to get it working by installing NST to hd, and then installing a bigger stack.

My joy of getting the card working was short lived however, as shortly after i discovered that kismet will not work with ndiswrapper!

so i guess its time to get a new network card. Could anybody recommend particualar make/model??

cheers,

Pete

• Paul Blankenbaker

Look at the wireless section in the FAQ, you'll find  a list of the few cards the developers of NST use.

There has also been a new article created which demonstrates the use of kismet with the NST distribution (sort of a tutorial) it uses one of the cards listed in the FAQ. See the news at the NST home page for a link.

If you want to experiment with a card other than reported in the FAQ, I'd recommend that you check out the madwifi site (http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/) for a list of supported cards - we've had pretty good luck with their drivers (which results in a large time savings).

Paul