Menu

Nullpointer Exception when starting training

Help
caro
2012-09-02
2013-12-12
  • caro

caro - 2012-09-02

I'v tried the image recognition HOWTO. Every time I start the training, I get an NullPointer Exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.neuroph.core.learning.SupervisedLearning.doLearningEpoch(SupervisedLearning.java:144)
        at org.neuroph.core.learning.IterativeLearning.learn(IterativeLearning.java:159)
        at org.neuroph.core.learning.LearningRule.run(LearningRule.java:102)
    [catch] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

I'm using NeuropStudio 2.6 with JDK 6u23.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-10-24

Please , Have you find a solution to your problem , i have the same too , but i don t know how can i do to resolve it ?

• srs

srs - 2013-11-04

Please, I've tried the same HOWTO, with the 2.8 version both on linux and windows and have the same NullPointer error (I'm using java 1.7).

Can someone check this?

• Vladimir

Vladimir - 2013-12-09

The same problem with the 2.8 version:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: errorarray.txt (Permission denied)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:221)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:171)
    at java.io.FileWriter.<init>(FileWriter.java:90)
    [catch] at    org.neuroph.netbeans.main.easyneurons.errorgraph.GraphFrameTopComponent.observe(GraphFrameTopComponent.java:185)
    at org.neuroph.netbeans.main.easyneurons.dialog.SupervisedTrainingDialog.train(SupervisedTrainingDialog.java:324)
    at org.neuroph.netbeans.main.easyneurons.dialog.SupervisedTrainingDialog.trainButtonActionPerformed(SupervisedTrainingDialog.java:256)
    at org.neuroph.netbeans.main.easyneurons.dialog.SupervisedTrainingDialog.access$000(SupervisedTrainingDialog.java:20)
    at org.neuroph.netbeans.main.easyneurons.dialog.SupervisedTrainingDialog$1.actionPerformed(SupervisedTrainingDialog.java:126)
        skipping...

OS X 10.8.5
    java version "1.7.0_45"
    jdk1.7.0_45

Last edit: Vladimir 2013-12-10
  • Zoran Sevarac

Zoran Sevarac - 2013-12-12

The issue is that the app is trying to write to file errorarray.txt which is used as file buffer during the training, but it seems that it does not have permisison to write to that file and/or folder where NeurophStudio is installed. Quick fix would be to give writing permissions to all so the app can write to that file. The file should be created automaticaly when the training starts. We'll fix this for next release in the meantime you can do the quick n dirty fix with permissions.

• Zoran Sevarac

Zoran Sevarac - 2013-12-12

And by the way, make sure you have installed the Neuroph Studio in some directory where you have writing permissions for example user home directory, that may fix the whole issue.