Menu

setup problem: Socket Exception

Help
bishop
2006-02-01
2013-04-09
  • bishop

bishop - 2006-02-01

I am attempting to set up and run nDumbster. I have successfully compiled nUnit and nDumbster. I am trying to run the preliminary test found on the main nDumbster page. I am running these tests through nUnit. I have attempted to run the tests found in SimpleSmtpServerTests.cs.

I am receiving this error.
    tests.SimpleSmtpServerTests.SendMessage : System.Net.Sockets.SocketException : Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted

I have attempted to modify the port assignment found in nDumbster.smtp.SimpleSmtpServer. This port assignment is 25 as shipped. I have attempted to change this port to 1024, which is an open port on my system. I realize that no mail server is running on port 1024. I receive back the following error:
    tests.SimpleSmtpServerTests.SendMessagesWithCarriageReturn : System.Web.HttpException : Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.
      ----> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException : Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
      ----> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException : The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response was: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for everybody@bar.com

I have also attempted to modify tests.SendMessage() so that it directly references a real smtp server. I have also attempted to change the e-mail addresses in tests.SendMessage() to real addresses. These all fail with various errors.

Does nDumbster contact a "real" smtp server in the process of "sending" mail to memory? Do I need to modify the settings found in the nDumbster source in order to run the preliminary test code provided in the main nDumbster page, found here?
    http://ndumbster.sourceforge.net/default.html

If so, could someone let me know what modifications I need to make in order to run the test code? If not, could someone provide some general advice for resolving the socket exception problem that I am experiencing?

I am running Windows XP, and .NET 1.1.

• Siji Varghese

Siji Varghese - 2006-04-12

It Appears that there is a SMTP service running in your machine.

To Run nDumbster you would need to turn this service off.

Not more than 1 program can listen on the same port. In this case port 25.