Help
2001-08-21
2001-08-22
  • Trevor Cobb

Trevor Cobb - 2001-08-21

Hello,
    I  have installed Muffin but have a problem as explained below:
    [stephen@localhost stephen]$ muffin
    Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
    Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
    java/lang/ClassNotFoundException: org/doit/muffin/Main
            at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:native)
            at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:53)
    Aborted
    [stephen@localhost stephen]$
    I have tried putting the path to org/doit/muffin/Main which in my case is: CLASSPATH=/home/stephen/tmp/muffin-0.9.3a/src/org/doit/muffin
    into the config.in file and reinstalling muffin. But I still get the same error. Ive tried running it from different directories but no luck. I am running Linux Mandrake 8.0 Hope someone can help.
    Thanks

• Arjan

Arjan - 2001-08-21

> CLASSPATH=/home/stephen/tmp/muffin-0.9.3a/src/org/doit/muffin

This is wrong. The full qualified name of the Java class is org.doit.Muffin (case sensitive). The entries in the classpath are used as a *starting point* to find this org.doit.Muffin. So, using *your* classpath, the Java Virtual Machine will try to find a subdirectory org *within* the subdirectory org/doit/muffin...

So: set your classpath to /home/stephen/tmp/muffin-0.9.3a/src/

Since your question proves you're new to Java, I wonder how you generated the "muffin" script? By default the shell script is installed in /usr/local/bin and "muffin.jar" is installed in /usr/local/lib. If so, then the classpath should be /usr/local/lib/muffin.jar

If the muffin script does not work:

- Get the ready-to-use JAR file at http://download.sourceforge.net/muffin/muffin-0.9.3a.jar Save this JAR file into a new lib subdirectory

- set CLASSPATH=/home/stephen/tmp/muffin-0.9.3a/lib/muffin-0.9.3a.jar

- java Muffin

a.

• Arjan

Arjan - 2001-08-21

> full qualified name of the Java class is org.doit.Muffin

Well, not really -- Main instead of Muffin. However, there is a helper class Muffin, which does not have any "package name" (so: no, org.doit prefix). By the way, if Muffin would have used the org.it package, then one would have used

java org.doit.Muffin

This not being the case, my earlier

java Muffin

should work...

a.

• Trevor Cobb

Trevor Cobb - 2001-08-22

Thanks for your posts a. I am a Newbie to Linux as well as Java. I hope you dont mind the  basic questions. I m still having trouble so Ill run through what Ive done so far. Ive installed  Muffin. All the files are where they should be. there is a muffin.jar in /usr/local/lib  and there is a shell script in /usr/local/bin. Main java is in  /home/stephen/tmp/muffin-0.9.3a/src/org/doit/muffin
      I have edited the CLASSPATH= in configure.in and the make files twice using both options from your last post and  done a ./configure,make,make install both times. I have tried both java Muffin and java org.doit.Muffin with the following results.
        [root@localhost muffin-0.9.3a]# java muffin
      java/lang/ClassNotFoundException: muffin
      Aborted (core dumped)
      [root@localhost muffin-0.9.3a]# java org.doit.muffin
      java/lang/ClassNotFoundException: org/doit/muffin
      Aborted (core dumped)
      [root@localhost muffin-0.9.3a]#
      As Ive said I am a Newbie to both Linux and Muffin/Java so my mistake may be really basic. Hope you can help and thank you for your pataience.