full screen

Help
magnesium
2006-12-08
2013-05-13
  • magnesium

magnesium - 2006-12-08

Hi, Kevin,
    would you please confirm if the mplayerplug-in CVS + mplayer SVN is doing full screen properly?
    I tried here to fullscreen videos on that previous site (http://gmc.globo.com) and the videos only changed to a black screen containing a small video canvas at the middle of the screen, and a frozen small frame at the far upper-left.
    thanks,
    mg12

• Kevin DeKorte

Kevin DeKorte - 2006-12-08

Try using an alternate vo like xv or x11 or even gl in some situations. Full Screen performance depends on your video card, driver and window manager.

• magnesium

magnesium - 2007-02-04

it seems there are different ways to do fullscreen in mplayer, such as -fs, -vm and -zoom -xy <scale>. which one is used in mplayerplug-in? is there a way to configure my preferred fullscreen method?

• Kevin DeKorte

Kevin DeKorte - 2007-02-05

There is no way to use your preferred method and to remain embedded. XV is handled normally, for x11, the -zoom option is added to the commandline that launches mplayer. The -vm option is currently not used in any form.

• John Germs

John Germs - 2008-04-02

Some of the simple/lightweight window managers may not have support for the style of fullscreen call the mplayerplug-in uses. In order for a the lightweight window managers to support the fullscreen call of the mplayerplug-in it appears the WM needs to utilize the ClientMessage event type.

Something in the nature of:

case MapRequest:
          map_request_function();
          break;
      + case ClientMessage:
      +    find_client(event->window);
      +    if (event->message_type == xa_net_wm_state) {
      +    //client_requires_fullscreen();
      +    }
      +    break;

NOTE: xa_net_wm_state refers to the XInternAtom _NET_WM_STATE

IMO I believe it would make more sense to utlize the actual true _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN atom. Adobe has recently done this with Adobe flash 9. It appears to be a more standard format that (can be)is better for all Linux varieties instead of send a message of a plain state and guessing it must mean fullscreen. :P
      $0.02

• Kevin DeKorte

Kevin DeKorte - 2008-04-02

Feel free to send a patch in to correct this.

As far as I remember all I am doing is calling 'gtk_window_fullscreen' on the window in question.