Menu

jsp/servlet compression

Help
S. Staats
2003-01-22
2003-09-24
  • S. Staats

S. Staats - 2003-01-22

Does anybody know of a way to get mod_gzip to compress jsp/servlet pages coming from another server?  I have Apache servers (serving static content) in front of weblogic servers (serving jsp/servlet pages).  I've added the following to the <IfModule mod_mime.c> section:
    AddType text/html .jsp .qst
    But no luck in getting those compressed.  Does mod_gzip only compress pages that physically exist on the Apache server?

• S. Staats

S. Staats - 2003-02-12

I figured it out.  WebLogic was setting the content-type to "text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" and the mod_gzip config was looking for just "text/html".  So I set the mod_gzip config to compress content-type of  ^.*text/.*$
      Problem solved.

• Larry Mason

Larry Mason - 2003-09-24

I have used the technique mentioned above and now requests for JSP pages are being compressed.  Well at least some of them.  If a large response is generated, the log shows DECHUNK was invoked.  However those pages are never displayed by the browser (IE 6 for me).  If I turn off DECHUNK if the config file, then the content is NOT compressed but displays properly.  Version info : Apache/1.3.12 (Win32) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a
      Any thoughts?