Menu

anyone interested in forking this project?

2010-02-06
2013-04-22
  • Nobody/Anonymous

it's a great foundation for a full-blown bracket system …

• JIm Nayzium

JIm Nayzium - 2010-02-06

What does forking it mean? Why not just use this project to develop the full-blow application?

I have already started on a much better CSS version to display everything, so I can jump start you there?

I will be posting the source code here soon…

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yay, new CSS. The pink is one of the most-mocked things  :-)

I wouldn't call it a great base. At least, someone else needs to get full admin over this project because Matt has been MIA for a while. I don't even have full administration over the site and I am currently the main developer.

• JIm Nayzium

JIm Nayzium - 2010-02-06

So who is the Nobody posting here? Cuz I pm'ed the new CSS to someone this morning…

??

Thanks.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2010-02-06

That's me. forgot to sign in.

• JIm Nayzium

JIm Nayzium - 2010-02-07

We reallly do need to fork this project because of the changes I want to make in general -- like associating each team name with an id number for ease of editing the team names… and also, I want to add to that, a short-name / long-name entry… so the newer css I have can displa the shortest name possible…

so it would be like

KENTUCKY - long name
    UK = short name

etc….

• Nobody/Anonymous

I would like to have it auto-update with scores from a feed.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have made several changes myself. i.g. pagination, individual bracket rank via username search (requires user login), captcha system like facebook and google, rss feeds for each team (had to create a bot to scrape other sites),  poll system, paypal integration with auto update of paid status, and a few more. The BIGGEST accomplishment was restructure of the database so that I can handle at least 1 million brackets (this required different query structures so that score.php and update.php do not hog system resources. I had to move most of the bracket calculations over so that MYSQL does most of it.

I hope that Matt has not abandoned this project, but with March Madness around the corner and zero updates from him, I would have to assume he is extremely busy with other projects… Who knows?

• Chris DeWeese

Chris DeWeese - 2010-02-14

That sounds awesome!  Are you able to post your source so others can use it?

• Rob J

Rob J - 2010-02-14

Send me the code, and I will make a branch for it then merge it if it all looks good. I don't know if Jholder can give you svn access or not (I cant),

• JIm Nayzium

JIm Nayzium - 2010-02-14

I can offer my view.php page into the new project as well -- with the newly created CSS to match the ESPN stuff….

• Rob J

Rob J - 2010-02-14

Send that to me, too, and I'll upload it.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2010-02-14

I have forked the project here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tourney/

nobody above can message me with their sourceforge account, and I can give you developer access to check in that branch (easier than me being the middle man)

• bigworm

bigworm - 2010-02-24

so should I be following the new project or what?

• John Holder

John Holder - 2010-03-04

Rob, great job on the fork and release.  I was just logging in to finally get around to updating the release only to find you've already done it, thanks!

I think we should continue all future dev work in forkland as none of us except Matt had full privs on this project.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks for the reply! Off to forkland!