Menu

Amiga in a Box

Help
2003-03-25
2003-03-26
  • Martin Fuhrer

Martin Fuhrer - 2003-03-25

Hi there,

Has anyone been able to use MaxUAE with the Amiga in a Box (AIAB) distribuation?  I am using release 10c obtained from the AIAB for Macintosh website:

http://www.webone.com.au/~brooke/

AIAB runs just fine for MacUAE 0.8.6 (in Classic mode), but I'd very much like to use it under OS X with MaxUAE.  I have tried placing the MaxUAE app in the AIAB folder, and dragging the uaerc file onto MaxUAE to launch it.  I would presume that the MaxUAE will then load with the settings for AIAB.  However, I am simply brought to the 3.1 ROM screen. 

If anyone has had success with AIAB and MaxUAE, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks,

Martin

• Martin Fuhrer

Martin Fuhrer - 2003-03-26

Okay, after an afternoon of reading docs and fiddling with settings, I have the Amiga in a Box setup running at 800 * 600 resolution under MaxUAE.

After unstuffing the AIAB archive, cd into the AIAB folder and
        chmod 777 -R Harddrives
      All executable Amiga files must have their executable bits set on the OS X filesystem - the above command accomplishes this. 

Place your kick.rom file in the AIAB folder.  Create a new file called aiab.config and paste in the following settings:

----------------

kickstart_rom_file=kick.rom
      chipmem_size=4
      fastmem_size=8
      gfxcard_size=8

joyport0=mouse
      joyport1=kbd1
      kickshifter=false
      show_leds=true
      cpu_type=68020
      cpu_speed=max
      cpu_compatible=no
      autoconfig=yes
      sound_output=normal
      sound_channels=stereo
      sound_bits=8
      sound_frequency=22050
      gfx_width=800
      gfx_height=600
      gfx_lores=no
      gfx_linemode=double
      gfx_correct_aspect=no
      gfx_center_horizontal=true
      gfx_center_vertical=true
      chipset=ocs
      gfx_fullscreen_amiga=no
      gfx_fullscreen_picasso=no
      gfx_color_mode=8bit
      32bit_blits=no
      immediate_blits=no
      gfx_framerate=2

filesystem=rw,Workbench:Harddrives/Workbench
      filesystem=rw,Applications:Harddrives/Applications
      filesystem=rw,HD-Games:Harddrives/HD-Games

----------------

I'm not sure how to make MaxUAE recognize these settings upon a double-click launch, but you can load these settings from the command line.  cd to the AIAB folder and type:

./MaxUAE.app/Contents/MacOS/MaxUAE -f aiab.config

Follow the instructions and make sure you have your wb31.adf disk image handy.  For screen resolution I chose 800*600, 16 bit. When the installer instructed to press return to reboot, the emulation went unresponsive.  I simply quit MaxUAE and relaunched it from the command line, and the installation proceeded without a fuss.  Voila - AIAB running under MaxUAE.  For some reason full screen mode is disabled when AIAB is running, so it's a bit difficult to navigate the workspace without clicking outside the emulator window and bringing another app to the front.

You can still launch the Classic MacUAE app in the AIAB folder, and it will boot from the same Amiga installation.  I find MacUAE runs 50 to 60% faster (subjective guess) than MaxUAE, so I'm still hanging on to it.  Of course, I'd be happy to hear about any settings I could change in aiab.config to speed up MaxUAE.

Considering I knew absolutely nothing about Amiga before yesterday, I'm quite thrilled to have a functional workspace up and running.  Keep up the good work AIAB and UAE folks!

Martin

P.S. I'm not getting any sound out of MaxUAE - has sound been implemented?