I am happy to announce the release of Mailman 2.1.10.
This is a security and bug fix release and it is highly recommended
that all sites upgrade to this version. Mailman 2.1.10 also adds support
for three new language translations, Galician, Hebrew and Slovak and a
few new features.
Mailman is free software for managing email mailing lists and e-
newsletters. Mailman is used for all the python.org and
SourceForge.net mailing lists, as well as at hundreds of other sites.
For more information, including download links, please see:
Special thanks are due to Barry Warsaw and Tokio Kikuchi for much coding
and support, Moritz Naumann for help with security issues and Jim Tittsler
for a significant patch.
Here's a list of the major changes.
- The 2.1.9 fixes for CVE-2006-3636 were not complete. In particular,
some potential cross-site scripting attacks were not detected in
editing templates and updating the list's info attribute via the web
admin interface. This has been assigned CVE-2008-0564 and has been
fixed. Thanks again to Moritz Naumann for assistance with this.
- There is a new mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py variable
OWNERS_CAN_CHANGE_MEMBER_PASSWORDS which controls whether the list
owner can change a member's password from the member's options page.
This defaults to No and should be changed to Yes only if list owners
are trusted to not change a member's password, log in as the member
and make global membership changes.
Note: If you are not ready to upgrade, patches for these two issues
are available at
in the 2.1.9 file list.
- Changed cmd_who.py to list all members if authorization is with the
list's admin or moderator password and to accept the password if the
roster is public. Also changed the web roster to show hidden members
when authorization is by site or list's admin or moderator password
- Added the ability to put a list name in accept_these_nonmembers
to accept posts from members of that list (1220144).
- Added a new 'sibling list' feature to exclude members of another list
from receiving a post from this list if the other list is in the To: or
Cc: of the post or to include members of the other list if that list is
not in the To: or Cc: of the post (Patch ID 1347962).
- Added the admin_member_chunksize attribute to the admin General Options
interface (Bug 1072002, Partial RFE 782436).
- Added the Hebrew translation from Dov Zamir. This includes addition of
a direction ('ltr', 'rtl') to the LC_DESCRIPTIONS table. The
add_language() function defaults direction to 'ltr' to not break
existing mm_cfg.py files.
- Added the Slovak translation from Martin Matuska.
- Added the Galician translation from Frco. Javier Rial Rodríguez.