Menu

Locknote fails to save data.

Help
wavedigit
2010-08-30
2016-01-22
  • wavedigit

wavedigit - 2010-08-30

I just exit when LockNote asks me to save data I just click Yes. Yet the data is not saved upon later opening Locknote.

win7 Ult. x64

Thanks in advance :)

• DaveB

DaveB - 2011-02-19

If you have it installed under the 'Program Files' structure, then Windows 7 can (and does) prevent it from writing anything to that folder, I forget where, but the data goes into another folder, so it's not "lost", it's "mislaid"..   Try using Windows Search, to find Locknote.exe, you may find two or more copies on your machine, one you know about of course.

This is not just Locknote, but any program that writes to itself, or a data file (.ini file for example) in the same folder as the .exe, will have that write diverted to somewhere else (as earlier, I forget exactly where!)   When it later reads it back, the info it will get, will be the original info from the .exe, not your "New" saved info that was shunted off into the boondocks.

It's one of the many extra security and safety measures Win7 introduced.

The easiest way to prevent that, is to run Locknote in a folder well away from the 'Program Files' structure.  Or run it from a USB memory stick.   Then, not only is it still secret, but you can take it with you, and safely run it on just about any Windows PC.   Make regular backups though, in case you loose or break the USB stick.

Dave.

• David Norwood

David Norwood - 2016-01-22

Hi
      I have the same issue. The .exe file is on my desktop. I have tried several times to save the file with new data. Save as to the desktop, which is the only place the .exe file is. When I come back to the file no changes are made. It has asks when I exit if I want to save and the same results, when I say yes, and come back the file is not saved.

I really like this program, but if it does not work, of course I cannot use it.

Thank you for your reply - do I need to start over? Looks like startomg pver will not be perminite based on the experience marcello had.

Last edit: David Norwood 2016-01-22
  • Marcello

Marcello - 2015-03-01

...and what about if I have LockNote on a "normal" (also checked all attrib) folder and anyway has the same behavior... but only sometimes? ...but when it starts behaving like this you cannot recover: you have to trash it and replace it with a new locknote.exe... so it will start to work again for X (unknown) times?
    (Windows 7 pro; i7-x64; folder "documents" moved (documents->properties) to drive F; many copies of locknote in different folders)

(...informatics is an exact science...but not on Windows! ;-) )

Marcello