Menu

Thank you for Jamulus

Gronaz
2014-02-06
2014-02-14
  • Gronaz

Gronaz - 2014-02-06

Hi Volker, I would like to thank you for the job.

And ask a small change in the server manual ( http://llcon.sourceforge.net/servermanual.html ):
    In the first server setup, being a linux newb I had some difficulties, so at some point when I found the manual chapter related to NAT port forward I read it too quickly thinking it was the easiest step.....
    Then I set up a client on another machine in my LAN and I could not connect to the server using wan_ip:port (lan_ip worked). I thought the issue was related to the #12 bug about NAT and LAN client+server (I thought to some lan to wan loopback reject in my FAI DSL gear), and I double-checked my port forward rule, taking hi care with the port numbers. The issue remained.
    Then I decided to setup another client on my mum's remote pc, just to see... same issue. I re-read the server manual, and the UDP word poped up to my eyes.
    Please could you insist on UDP (e.g. "...[bold]UDP[/bold], not TCP,..."
    Whatever, it now works for me and I won't do the mistake twice.

I want to thank again

Btw
    Yesterday night I heard for the first time the guitar of my 200km friend. I checked the ping: 80ms
    When you advises 40ms max, is it full RTT from instrument via central server back to loudspeaker?

Btw (I'll be back)
    Jamulus is a nice name, sounds better than llcon

Last edit: Gronaz 2014-02-06
  • Volker Fischer

Volker Fischer - 2014-02-13

I changed the "servermanual" page as you suggested. I agree with you that the text should be very clear about what type of protocol has to be forwarded.

40 ms max is the ping time. The maximum overall delay is 60 ms for me. But I played even with higher latency but the fun degrades in that case.

• Gerd

Gerd - 2014-02-14

I like to say thank you with this quick introduction video: http://youtu.be/0k8VvLXi8n4
    Have a lot of fun with Jamulus and always good grooves..
    Cheers Gerd