Menu

New compile-time errors?

Help
2006-09-25
2013-06-04
  • Gianfranco Berardi

Does anyone know if an update to gcc/g++ would cause a problem with the existing source?  I got the following errors today:

$ make
    for i in engine spriteed encoder guitest; do ( cd $i ; make ) ; done
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/gberardi/Projects/CPP/wc_SDLPong/SDLPong/source/kyra_2_1_3/kyra/engine'
    g++ -c -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-format -g -DDEBUG  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT action.cpp -o action.o
    encoder.h:151: error: extra qualification 'KrEncoder::' on member 'Save'
    make[1]: *** [action.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gberardi/Projects/CPP/wc_SDLPong/SDLPong/source/kyra_2_1_3/kyra/engine'
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/gberardi/Projects/CPP/wc_SDLPong/SDLPong/source/kyra_2_1_3/kyra/spriteed'
    g++ -c -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-format -g -DDEBUG  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT dom.cpp -o dom.o
    ../engine/imagetree.h:193: error: extra qualification 'KrImageTree::' on member 'HitTestRec'
    make[1]: *** [dom.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gberardi/Projects/CPP/wc_SDLPong/SDLPong/source/kyra_2_1_3/kyra/spriteed'
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/gberardi/Projects/CPP/wc_SDLPong/SDLPong/source/kyra_2_1_3/kyra/encoder'
    g++ -c -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-format -g -DDEBUG  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT main.cpp -o main.o
    ../engine/encoder.h:151: error: extra qualification 'KrEncoder::' on member 'Save'
    ../engine/imagetree.h:193: error: extra qualification 'KrImageTree::' on member 'HitTestRec'
    ../engine/../guiExtended/progress.h:51: error: extra qualification 'KrProgress::' on member 'KrProgress'
    ../engine/../guiExtended/progress.h:58: error: extra qualification 'KrProgress::' on member 'KrProgress'
    make[1]: *** [main.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gberardi/Projects/CPP/wc_SDLPong/SDLPong/source/kyra_2_1_3/kyra/encoder'
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/gberardi/Projects/CPP/wc_SDLPong/SDLPong/source/kyra_2_1_3/kyra/guitest'
    g++ -c -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-format -g -DDEBUG  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT guitest.cpp -o guitest.o
    ../engine/encoder.h:151: error: extra qualification 'KrEncoder::' on member 'Save'
    ../engine/../guiExtended/progress.h:51: error: extra qualification 'KrProgress::' on member 'KrProgress'
    ../engine/../guiExtended/progress.h:58: error: extra qualification 'KrProgress::' on member 'KrProgress'
    make[1]: *** [guitest.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gberardi/Projects/CPP/wc_SDLPong/SDLPong/source/kyra_2_1_3/kyra/guitest'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

I had to go through and remove the beginning of KrProgress::KrProgress() in the header, for example, which I never had to do before.  It wasn't so bad, but I would think that if the source compiled fine before, and if I didn't change anything myself (and I'm pretty sure no one jumped onto my machine and maliciously changed the source to a few files of a library I happen to use), then the only change is an update to g++, which is now v4.1.2.  I'd just like to verify that it was the compiler and not something weird that I missed.

• Lee Thomason

Lee Thomason - 2006-10-05

There are problems with both gcc 4 and with SDL 1.2.11 - both are fixed (I hope!) from the CVS source, but I haven't created a new package yet.

I'll try to do that soon!

lee