Menu

Error occurred while sending a direct message or getting the response.

Beal
2013-08-29
2014-05-31
  • Beal

Beal - 2013-08-29

The error "Error occurred while sending a direct message or getting the response." appears whenever I try and sync with google drive (or upload or download). I am using 2-step verification and so far it has asked me for the code just once and it gave the same error after that.
    Can you help me?

• Nick Smith

Nick Smith - 2014-03-15

tldr: try deleting %LOCALAPPDATA%\Dominik_Reichl\* and restarting keepass.

The file %LOCALAPPDATA%\Dominik_Reichl\KeePass[...]\[version]\user.config saves a Google auth key, which for various reasons could become invalid, resulting in this error. Currently, the plugin doesn't notice this and just throws this error, nor is there any way to re-authorize the connection to you Google Drive.
    Deleting this file and restarting keepass, then trying any of the sync options should open the Google page to grant access to your account, and everything should work fine from there.

• Danyal

Danyal - 2014-03-25

Ah so this could be the reason why new key I generated using the new Google API console did not work for me.

I will try to read more on this from Google Drive API docs, but if you know already where this location is mentioned in the docs, please do let me know.

Thanks for sharing :)

Last edit: Danyal 2014-03-25
  • Nick

Nick - 2014-04-29

I'm having the same problem. When I first tried to upload to google drive it autofilled my username and password. Then it went on to the 2-step verification which I entered the confirmation number. Then it just hung on a blank white window that says request for permission. When I exit the window I get an error message that says "Error occurred while sending a direct message or getting the response." Now every time I try to upload to google drive it just shows the white request for permission window. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Update: it also does it every time i save my database now. As well as asking me if i want to enable automatic updates every time I open keepass.

Last edit: Nick 2014-04-29
  • Matthias Ulrich

Matthias Ulrich - 2014-05-31

I had the same issue.
    I solved it by adding an e-mail address and a Product name in the "Consent screen" of the Google API Project.