Menu

Which is more secure: copy-and-paste or drag-and-drop?

Help
Thomas B
2013-10-15
2013-10-15
  • Thomas B

Thomas B - 2013-10-15

Hello,
    I am using KeePass version 2.23.
    Which is the more secure password (and user-name) input method, against key-loggers (and other types of loggers): copy-and-paste or drag-and-drop?
    I am interested about Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 10 (and newer), if that makes any difference.
    Thanks.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-10-15

If your computer is compromised there are no computer operations that are reliably safe because the attacker could have acquired the same capabilities as a user or administrator. Whether you escape damage depends solely on details of a particular attack, i.e. there is no general answer to your question.

KeePass uses a variety of methods to keep your passwords as safe as possible at all times. It resists keyloggers and clipboard spies by using Two-Channel Auto-Type Obfuscation (TCATO) which is a combination send-key & clipboard auto-type method for sending data to a browser or application.

You best defense against having your computer compromised is to use a modern OS, with up-to-date software, keep it fully patched, use malware detection and repair software, and use good judgement when interacting with external sources.

I am interested about Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 10 (and newer), if that makes any difference.

This is probably the wrong forum to seek information about the relative strengths and weaknesses of browsers.