Menu

Are more sites having problems with autotype?

Help
2015-07-06
2015-07-07
  • Brittney Smith

Brittney Smith - 2015-07-06

I've noticed a few sites recently stopped accepting the PW, if autotyped (for some of those, autotype worked before).
    AFAIK, I'm using same Keepass Options settings.
    Maybe something about the sites changed or something in recent KP version (2.29 in Vista x64).

On some sites (where PW isn't recognized), the username autotypes correctly & the site accepts it.
    I know that for sure, if they have 2 page login & it takes me to next 2nd page. Like on https://secure.fiacardservices.com/login/trans/cc/sign-in/entry/signOnScreen.go

On those 2 page login sites (if the PW part of autotype doesn't work), autotype does enter PW characters, but site gives message like "invalid password," etc.

If I then use PW drag / drop, the sites usually recognize it.

Don't know if it's meaningful, but of the few sites where autotyping the PW doesn't work, sometimes the # of characters autotype enters (masked by '*'), appears way less than the actual PW characters stored in KP. Maybe a "delay" setting issue?

A few times when I notice that, then use PW drag / drop, the number of asterisks showing in the field is much longer, than a few seconds before - using autotype.

• Paul

Paul - 2015-07-06

This is likely to be the web site trying to be too cute with their coding.
    You can try adding a long delay {DELAY=200}, or just stick to D&D.

cheers, Paul

• Brittney Smith

Brittney Smith - 2015-07-06

Thanks Paul.
    I'll play w/ delay. About Delay syntax - don't see usage examples in help file or online manual. But found a post (w/ very limited explanation).
    Are there better tutorials on using Delay x & Delay=x, than this post? :
    https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/discussion/329221/thread/5f55ff7e

{DELAY=X} Sets the default delay to X milliseconds for all standard keypresses in this sequence. and {DELAY X} Delays X milliseconds. So if you are using {DELAY=1000}{USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER} for example, Keepass will delay 1 second between each typed character in your username and password. Whereas {DELAY 1000}{USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}, Keepass will delay 1 second before then typing your username.

Also, I usually have TCATO enabled. I guess that adds some measure of safety, assuming one isn't infected w/ sophisticated enough malware, where none of this really matters.

But same story - TCATO previously worked on (some) of the sites, that now have a general problem w/ autotyping the PW.
    I'm guessing the sites changed something, or a minor code change in KP??

Don't quite understand how site(s) accept the TCATO-autotyped username OK, but not the PW (other than different page coding on the PW entry field than UN field).

In past KP versions, was TCATO applied to usernames?
    But now it is.

Maybe in my "spare time" will send a support request to one of the sites.

• Paul

Paul - 2015-07-07

That DELAY description is correct.

Most likely the sites will have changed something, not a KeePass change.

Password fields may have tricky Javascript code behind them where the user name doesn't. Do you have an example site?

Yes, user names are also entered using TCATO. I don't think that has changed recently.

cheers, Paul