Autoupdate Database

Help
gewgaw83
2014-06-10
2014-06-11
  • gewgaw83

gewgaw83 - 2014-06-10

Hi,

I've a problem regarding multiple KeePass versions.
    We use KeePass version 2.09 in our company. Now sometimes some guy just installs the latest version of KeePass available and opens our databases.
    As you know we now won't be able to open these databases with our old KeePass version.

So my question is if there is any possibility to disable the automatic update of the database file at the startup with a newer KeePass version?

May you also have any other (better) solution for me which I have not come up by now?!

I already tried the search the discussion but haven't found anything. The problem may is that I don't know which terms I should searching for.

Thank you!

gewgaw83

• Horst

Horst - 2014-06-10
    1. Why do you stay with such old versions of security related software ?

2. It looks like your databases are on the network, so why don't you start Keepass from the network also. This allows you to manage it from one server.

• gewgaw83

gewgaw83 - 2014-06-10

ad 1) I've asked the same question. My boss said that everyone has to update his/her version everytime. In his opinion there is no need for updating KeePass.

ad 2) The software is installed locally because of failure circumstances. We have local backups of the databases in case of a network failure. So KeePass would not be available too. Therefore it's installed locally.

I already tried to install KeePass on a network drive and deploy it to my co-workers but my boss doesn't really like it. He's a little bit complicated ;)

• Paul

Paul - 2014-06-10

As the database is on the network just back it up every 15 minutes.

cheers, Paul

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-06-10

So my question is if there is any possibility to disable the automatic update of the database file at the startup with a newer KeePass version?

Blocking database conversion is not particularly feasible for several reasons:

1. Database conversion can't be enforced for new KeePass installations because a user would not be able to upgrade. A notice won't prevent a careless or willful colleague from upgrading.
    2. A notice could be confusing to some users, and would probably be considered a nuisance by nearly all users.
    3. There are a large number of recent versions that would not be affected by a new blocking feature so the solution is not complete.
    4. There is little advantage of facilitating the use of obsolete versions of KeePass, and the volunteer help is mostly uninterested in supporting obsolete versions.

May you also have any other (better) solution for me which I have not come up by now?!.

If you implement the dropbox sync trigger (adapted for LAN use) unauthorized upgrades will have less impact on users because their working database will be their local copy. This will require modifying user's KeePass installations (but only those that desire it).

The best solution is to upgrade as there have been bug fixes and other upgrades over the years.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-06-10
  • gewgaw83

gewgaw83 - 2014-06-11

Ok,

thank you for your replies and help.
    I think it will be best to try to convince my boss to update KeePass.

Thanks again.