Help
mathminded
2006-02-21
2012-11-19
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • Paul

Paul - 2006-03-10

RST,
    Could you try creating a DB on a hard disk instead of the USB key?
    Try a slightly different password?

I don't understand why KeePass asks for a password when it starts. The only reason it would do that is you have asked it to open the DB on startup. Is this the case?

cheers, Paul

• Nobody/Anonymous

Paul,

I will give it a try and let you know what happens.

The USB key should not be an issue if you are using ordinary file-system calls. It should be transparent at that level regardless of where the storage is or what it is. The only consideration for a USB key is that (of course) if you remove the key while the DB is being written or something then things could go bad. However, even that should not be a problem if you have a strategy to maintain database integrity. I hope to have the time later to explain how that can be done. It should be OK to actually unplug your hard disk while the program is running without compromising the integrity of the database.

I did try a couple of different passwords. The last time it faild, it failed on a plain text (all lower case letters) 7 character password.

I will try another 6-8 character password on a vanilla FAT hard disk partition and let you know what happens.

I trust you understand that for the next update any such fragility should be addressed. It would be rather difficult to put this in production anywhere without being 100% confident that it can persist state reliably.

I hate to be such a pest about this. It is a nice program and I really want to be able to use it.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Oops. Message above was RST...

• Bill Rubin

Bill Rubin - 2006-03-11

To RST: I'd be interested to know your strategy to maintain database integrity.

Hopefully you will post that to a new thread in the Discussion forum. The Discussion Forum is not 'parts unknown'. It is in fact the more active forum.

A reading of the posts to both forums shows that the Help forum typically relates to questions and answers about existing Keepass functionality. The first half of this thread is a good example. The discussion forum is more wide-ranging. In my view, readers interested in proposals for database integrity or discussions of coding practices will not search in or subscribe to the Help forum.

Bill Rubin

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)